Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Stone Temple Pilots - Sex Type Thing cover

Hi,

I've recently started recording some cover songs - here is my latest, a cover of STP's Sex Type Thing - enjoy! :)

Sex Type Thing (Stone Temple Pilots) - Matt Pollock Vocal Cover
https://youtu.be/-_WC7Sgj2LY

My YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/Dogmandfds/

Thanks!!

Matt

Comments

• sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    Nice job I’ve got an audition in a couple weeks and they just added that song to it. I’m not doing good with it. It’s just been one night but I think that’s the song that’s going to cause me to not get it. Any tips? Yours sounds great
  • MattP75MattP75 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 40

Nice job I’ve got an audition in a couple weeks and they just added that song to it. I’m not doing good with it. It’s just been one night but I think that’s the song that’s going to cause me to not get it. Any tips? Yours sounds great

Thanks man, appreciated.
    It took me a couple of weeks to really get the feel of the vocal right. The verses were pretty comfortable as they sit well in chest range for the first half, but the second half of the verse and the chorus took a lot of practice. For me it was all about adding a ton more support and more compression until if felt comfortable.

There's a clip on YouTube where the orignal vocal has been isolated - I found this really useful:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpvJ7aQaGW8

Good luck with the audition!
  • d1g2w3d1g2w3 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 465
    edited June 2020
    Good job Matt, loved this, pitch great, perfect cover, good distortion, great whine when needed, great small amounts of vibrato.

All round great and would come see you live!

EDIT: One thing to ask, how did you mix this, seems really distant like it was recorded on a phone or something
    d1g2w3 said:

Good job Matt, loved this, pitch great, perfect cover, good distortion, great whine when needed, great small amounts of vibrato.

All round great and would come see you live!

EDIT: One thing to ask, how did you mix this, seems really distant like it was recorded on a phone or something

Thank you for the kind words :)
    With regards the mix - I use Reaper as my DAW - I'm very much at the beginning of my producing/mixing journey, any tips would be greatly appreciated B)
  • bradsmith007bradsmith007 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 48
    @MattP75 ... sounds awesome! How long have you been singing? How long in KTVA? :smile:

@MattP75 ... sounds awesome! How long have you been singing? How long in KTVA? :smile:

Thanks👍
    Started singing again 5 years ago after a 14 year hiatus. Started with KTVA in 2015, I've used lots of different vocal resources aswell along the way, and lots and lots of practice.
  • bradsmith007bradsmith007 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 48
    @MattP75, got any seagull impressions from the early days??

• gotmixesgotmixes Member Posts: 8
    A couple of arrangement thoughts (I like the vocal, by the way):

Your rhythm within the phrases is cool, and you are "on" the beat. But I would really be laying this one back. I'd be sliding the track later by 10-20 ms (probably 12 or 15 ms) and then adjusting phrases from there. It really makes a difference. Listen to how you come in on the 2nd verse -- I dig the performance, I just think you're a little ahead of where the pocket could sit. I would try to be a hair behind the beat to let the groove (band) breathe.

The great thing about a DAW is that you can try an edit and, if you like the phrasing, you can listen to it and incorporate that rhythmic feel into your performance in a natural way. I bet you'll see that it makes you sound like you "own" the moment, since there are a lot of other things adding up nicely.

"In-si-ide" at 1:11 (and the other choruses): the F# is a real target note there -- I wouldn't slide into it that way (E, then the quick F#). It's kind of a drag to say this, because I get what you're doing, and I think you handle the inflection well. But arrangement-wise, the chord structure there, which is kind of sitting on this Bm to D thing (the note hits on the D chord) really demands that F#. So I would say to grab that note right away or hit the quick grace note like Weiland does.

I know that seems like a small point, but that's a real defining moment in the song.

I saw "Dogman" in your YouTube ID -- are you a King's X fan?
    gotmixes said:

A couple of arrangement thoughts (I like the vocal, by the way):

Your rhythm within the phrases is cool, and you are "on" the beat. But I would really be laying this one back. I'd be sliding the track later by 10-20 ms (probably 12 or 15 ms) and then adjusting phrases from there. It really makes a difference. Listen to how you come in on the 2nd verse -- I dig the performance, I just think you're a little ahead of where the pocket could sit. I would try to be a hair behind the beat to let the groove (band) breathe.

The great thing about a DAW is that you can try an edit and, if you like the phrasing, you can listen to it and incorporate that rhythmic feel into your performance in a natural way. I bet you'll see that it makes you sound like you "own" the moment, since there are a lot of other things adding up nicely.

"In-si-ide" at 1:11 (and the other choruses): the F# is a real target note there -- I wouldn't slide into it that way (E, then the quick F#). It's kind of a drag to say this, because I get what you're doing, and I think you handle the inflection well. But arrangement-wise, the chord structure there, which is kind of sitting on this Bm to D thing (the note hits on the D chord) really demands that F#. So I would say to grab that note right away or hit the quick grace note like Weiland does.

I know that seems like a small point, but that's a real defining moment in the song.

I saw "Dogman" in your YouTube ID -- are you a King's X fan?

Thanks for the feedback, appreciated - and yes, I'm a big King's X fan B)
  • MattPerryMattPerry Member Posts: 19
    I find it pretty cool, and i am a huge STP fan.
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    Good job on this @MattP75 ! You sound very solid vocally in this!
    MattPerry said:

I find it pretty cool, and i am a huge STP fan.

Wow! thanks for the kind words 🤘🤘🙂🙂
    Chris82 said:

Good job on this @MattP75 ! You sound very solid vocally in this!

Thank you 🙂🙂👍