Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Early Vocal Cord Swelling Check!!

VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
Found this interesting video on Youtube and this might be a simple check possibly indicate early signs of swelling on our vocal cords and it can be done daily prior to vocal warm up!!!. I am no expert in this area just wanted to put this out there for comments!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zit6I7EPMto

Vocality

Comments

• IraRIraR Member, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 54
    @Vocality: I had seen this video or something similar by this same Dr. Robert Bastian about a year and a half ago. I did not do these particular "checks" regularly, but from time to time I had been making myself more aware of a the degree that there was quite a bit of vocal-fold swelling, and I was getting vocally tired very easily and staying that way. So these and other observations, like how easily I got hoarse talking at weddings, led me to get checked out by the otolaryngologist. Yeah, I'd had some degree of serious "damage" to my voice, although it seemed to have occurred quite a long time before that, and I was overcompensating. So you haven't seen me post in this forum for a while, since I got the scary diagnosis of vocal-fold paresis with accompanying muscle-tension dysphonia about fifteen months ago. No wonder I seemed to be stuck in a rut vocally! I I took my time trying to figure out what all that meant, going to my speech-pathologist, and slowly rehabilitating my voice. Slowly I began working with a vocal coach, and I'm slowly getting back to Ken's exercises, with newfound appreciation for what I'm listening to, as well as what I'm not listening to.

I'm more aware of the muscle-tension problems, which I think have resolved, but I'm still really not sure what the "paresis" is or was: Paresis is harder to pin-down than nodules or polyps in terms of causation, especially since it could have been just aging "atrophy" due to my not having strengthened the voice properly in the past (after all, I'm now 60, almost 61).

I just bought Ken's new Vocal Repair - Heal From Home Course, and just started watching and listeing and following Ken's suggestions for those of us who still occasionally need "remedial" vocal work. I'm anxious to see Ken's take on these subjects. @IraR

• VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    @IraR Firstly it's good to hear back from you again and wish you all the best in your recovery. If the simple exercises in this video are good then it's an ideal way of regulary monitoring part of your vocal health and maybe @Ken Tamplin will comment on this.

Vocality
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Yeah Ive watched this video as well, I thought it had some good points in it. Welcome back @IraR