Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Musical Theatre?

Do you guys believe Ken’s vocal technique would work well for musical theatre? I was previously being trained by an opera singer before becoming interested in this program and she said being classically trained was vital if I wanted to do musical theatre. Although there are musical theatre performers who are classically trained, I have a friend that’s been doing theatre for 20 years now and he said that nowadays, being classically trained doesn’t matter at all in theatre because directors are looking more for diversity in the performers’ styles of singing. Would you guys agree?

Comments

• Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Well, Ken was classically trained as well, so some of his technique I suspect would be similar. I have no experience in theatre or the music industry, but in my mind the requirement of opera would have partly to do with being able to project your voice so everyone can hear it (in a safe way of course).

Personally I think his technique would be great for theatre (Ken was a baritone of some sort, the one that came to save the day), he teaches you how to resonate your voice and cut back your air to save your vocal cords from drying out.
  • Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    yeah i think so, it should be well suited, and is in fact based on classical origins.