Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Am I a tenor

Hello!!! I am a male 18 years old and my top chest voice note is an G#4(falsetto goes up to G5), but my friends tell me that I have a tenor timbre and that my high notes are locked.
Am I a tenor, and, if so, how can I unlock my high notes?

Comments

• Gunnar364Gunnar364 2.0 PRO Posts: 26
    Hi!
    Hard to tell without hearing your voice, but if your chest voice goes all the way up to G#4 without too much training, and your timbre is light, you might well be a tenor. What mainly decides in which fold your voice falls depends mainly on your tone, and your most comfortable range. Your most comfortable range is usually around 1 octave, and it's the notes that are the easiest and most relaxing for you to sing.

To use myself as an example, I am a bass baritone, with a rather dark voice tone. My most comfortable range is roughly A2-B3, but thanks to a lot of practice, my total vocal range is G1-A5, so it's possible to stretch way beyond the range you're "supposed to stay in".

As for unlocking your high range, do you have Ken's course? He explains this amazingly well, far better than I could ever do. The main point is to use the AH sound (like when the doctor is looking down your throat) and sing scales without any consonants, as this trains your throat to stay open, allowing you to add the power of your chest voice into your head voice, as well as moving seamlessly between the two. Ifyou don't have Ken's course, I strongly advice you to get it, you're gonna be amazed at all the things it will allow you to do!

Hope this helps!
    Gunnar
  • HenricovHenricov Member Posts: 6
  • HenricovHenricov Member Posts: 6
    My
    Gunnar364 said:

Hi!
    Hard to tell without hearing your voice, but if your chest voice goes all the way up to G#4 without too much training, and your timbre is light, you might well be a tenor. What mainly decides in which fold your voice falls depends mainly on your tone, and your most comfortable range. Your most comfortable range is usually around 1 octave, and it's the notes that are the easiest and most relaxing for you to sing.

To use myself as an example, I am a bass baritone, with a rather dark voice tone. My most comfortable range is roughly A2-B3, but thanks to a lot of practice, my total vocal range is G1-A5, so it's possible to stretch way beyond the range you're "supposed to stay in".

As for unlocking your high range, do you have Ken's course? He explains this amazingly well, far better than I could ever do. The main point is to use the AH sound (like when the doctor is looking down your throat) and sing scales without any consonants, as this trains your throat to stay open, allowing you to add the power of your chest voice into your head voice, as well as moving seamlessly between the two. Ifyou don't have Ken's course, I strongly advice you to get it, you're gonna be amazed at all the things it will allow you to do!

Hope this helps!
    Gunnar

My most comfortable range is from C3 do D#4 but I can go with pretty much any strain up to F4
    My lowest not strained note is G2
    I don't have pretty much any training with vocal coaches