Home Vocal Health and Wellness
Options

Lost voice due to allergy incident

thedanieltanthedanieltan 2.0 PRO Posts: 2
edited May 2020 in Vocal Health and Wellness
I ate a dimsum that contained prawn by accident and shortly after my throat got really scratchy.

After the allergy subsided, I noticed that it has affected my singing voice. (voice sounded flaky & airy, voice cracks at high notes) so I stopped immediately.

I rested for a week, drinking plenty of water and did not drink alcohol or smoke or talk much during this time.

Today, I returned to my daily exercise for volume two. Did the exercises gently to assess my condition and found that....

While I can sing in my chest register, I noticed that I can no longer hit the higher notes in chest as well as transition smoothly into my head voice and back.

Seems like I have lost control of the vocal cords as it automatically yodels or breaks at the passaggio.

It feels like I have lost all progress and gone back to square one.

Has anyone recovered from something like this?

Would appreciate any tips or explanations on what is happening so I can understand how to manage my voice from here on.

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I don't have any experience with this. However whenever I take a break it takes time to get my self back to where I left off. If there is no more pain or irritation I guess that it's safe to say it's ok to start practicing again.

If you really haven't talked much over that week, your cords will take some time to wake up again. Same with the chest voice, it needs to be constantly trained to maintain, it's no surprise coming back into it you have lost a couple notes. Keep taking it easy and concentrate on being smooth, until you get some stamina back. Even if you are square 1, at least you are able to sing again.
  • Options
    thedanieltanthedanieltan 2.0 PRO Posts: 2
    Thanks Wigs.

I am happy to say that I have recovered my voice after drinking lots of honey and doing some vocal sensitization exercises.

I'm back to doing volume two again.

Looking forward to posting my Lah triads to see if I am ready for vol 3 soon! :smiley:
  • Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    good to hear you recovered!