Home Off Topic

Vaping and Singing

4jBorruel4jBorruel 2.0 PRO Posts: 422
Greetings,
we all know smoking is bad for our voice, so I gave up my smoking habits, and I started vaping 2 months ago hoping to see some improvement in my voice. I have not sung a song for 2 months but I'm doing the voice exercise daily. Is vaping damage our voice?

Thanks

Francisco

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,111
    @FFBS
    I believe that anything foreign in the lungs can be harmful over time. The difference between cigarettes, and vapor is that one is smoke (it's dry), and the other is moisture (basically breathing water in tiny amounts).

The new findings say that vapor is just as harmful if not more harmful than cigarettes, and that effects the lungs which will affect your singing I would assume.

I'm no choir boy so don't think I'm preaching, It's just information I've read about the two.

Peace

• 4jBorruel4jBorruel 2.0 PRO Posts: 422
    Videoace,
    Thank you for that information. I will slowly quit vaping for my voice.

Best regards
    Francisco
  • TommyMTommyM Pro Posts: 270
    @FFBS As a smoker and someone who's using vapes to quit, I agree largely with what's been said. One thing I do have issue with is the suggestion that vaping is just as bad as cigarettes when it's not actually the case. Yes, taking any foreign substance into your body, especially through the respiratory system for singers like us, isn't a helpful thing to do so regardless of method, not smoking or vaping at all is infinitely superior.

The main research propagated regarding e-cigs being as bad as normal cigarettes is was funded by tobacco companies as a way to dissuade people from stopping smoking. Objective and empirical testing from independent academic sources indicate otherwise as, while there are still chemicals produced through heating of material and ingestion that aren't good for you, there's no formaldehyde, benzene and all the other carcinogens present in tobacco smoke.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the problems reported where the e-cigs have exploded or the liquid has been heated too much and caused lung damage are down to defective, cheap imported products. Stick to good quality brands rather than the cheap options and the odds of that sort of thing happening reduce exponentially.

There's a lot of crap floating around about e-cigs just now, and to make matters worse there's always someone looking to make a quick buck with low-quality goods. This all combines to create a bad impression of what is a helpful and at least somewhat healthier option when it comes to quitting smoking.

Just my two cents on the matter, but I thought I'd try to clarify a bit.

• ericgamlielericgamliel 2.0 PRO Posts: 8
    I was just searching this topic online, b/c I am interested in it as well. I used to vape and quit because I wanted to start singing.

The problem is that there's no scientific study on this topic. So there's concrete answer to the question.

You should do your own experiment and use your own results. I am interest to hear about it. Maybe try to quit vaping for a week and see if your voice improves. You should notice something.

As for me, I had really cheap vaping system. It would constantly give me "dry hits", which is like smoking a burning piece of cotton. This is what irritated my throat. And rather than invest $50 in a better system, I decided to quit. A better system with less/no dry hits might have solved this throat irritation.

But I miss it sometimes. And I'd like to start again. So let me know if you do the "experiment" and how it goes.
  • ericgamlielericgamliel 2.0 PRO Posts: 8
    Update: You should def read this article:
    https://www.churnmag.com/news/new-study-finds-vaping-doesnt-harm-voice-quality-like-smoking/

Don't listen to the BS-ers that think they know things, but just want to seem smart and hear themselves talk. Go for the PUBLISHED science every time.
  • djonefmdjonefm 2.0 PRO Posts: 3
    I have felt much better since quitting cigs and converting to vaping though, I am concerned how vaping affects singing capabilities since it does cause some irritation in my lungs. I have a steam room where I use aloe vera in my mixture and it helps. Still curious to see any more personal feedback on the subject.
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    No personal feedback other than your trading one poison for another
  • CortezWongCortezWong Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2023
    Vaping involves inhaling aerosols that may contain substances like nicotine and other chemicals. These can potentially irritate or dry out the vocal cords, which might affect your singing voice over time. It's not as harsh as smoking, but it's not entirely risk-free.
    If you're concerned about the impact of vaping on your singing voice, it's a good idea to consult with a vocal coach or healthcare professional who can provide guidance tailored to your specific situation.
    If you're facing issues with your vape, there might be some helpful information on why is my vape flashing and not working. It's worth looking into to ensure your vaping experience is smooth.