Home The Singer's Lobby

What Makes Ken Tamplin Great?

JmanJman Member Posts: 23
Ken covers a lot of great singers and breaks down their greatness with wisdom, insight and WOW. He unveils the mystery.

But what makes Ken himself such a great singer?

You could say his range, his timbre, his skill-set of vocal techniques, his power and control, etc etc.

I think what makes Ken great as a singer is his ability to mimic the greats astoundingly accurately, with all the qualities above from all the greats he analyses.

He's a chameleon of the voice.

Comments

• VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    @Jman

This is a really good question I think this is what made Ken Tamplin great, 30 years of experience, research, dedication, hard work, discipline, life experiences, helping others and staying fit & healthy. Ken had to work to get great this is a long process of gradual improvement and he has set out a great vocal course when adhered can have desired results.

Ken is a Lyric Baritone that can sing in soprano register, as we build strength vocally we become more agile enables us to sing in much more styles etc.

Vocality
    :)
  • JmanJman Member Posts: 23
    Vocality said:

@Jman

This is a really good question I think this is what made Ken Tamplin great, 30 years of experience, research, dedication, hard work, discipline, life experiences, helping others and staying fit & healthy. Ken had to work to get great this is a long process of gradual improvement and he has set out a great vocal course when adhered can have desired results.

Ken is a Lyric Baritone that can sing in soprano register, as we build strength vocally we become more agile enables us to sing in much more styles etc.

Vocality
    :)

Hi Vocaility. Is there one song that Ken sings that makes your soul soar?
    @Jman Boston - More than feeling is up there with his best in my opinion
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    @Vocality I completely agree. His More Than A Feeling cover was phenomenal. Really like his vocal tone there.
    Vocality said:

I also love this version. A good example of a song with soft singing, belting, lots of different styles in one song.
    edited July 2020
    Vocality said:

....I close my EYYYYYYYYES, and drift a WAAAAAAAAAAAY....
    Vocality said:

....I close EYYYYYYYYES, and drift a WAAAAAAAAAAAY....
    Ken's version of You Know My Name - Chris Cornell. Amazing vocals.
    @Jman

Missed Chris Cornell rendition it's brilliant rendition as well good find!!!
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    For me, it's his ability to sing healthily and teaching others to do the same. The size and power is awesome, it's also sustainable.
    Vocality said:

@Jman

Missed Chris Cornell rendition it's brilliant rendition as well good find!!!

I love the song. I loooooove singing it (best I can). It's an exhausting song to sing, you're really pressed to sing your lungs out. Ken does it so well and you can see the expression on his face, loving it.
    Wigs said:

For me, it's his ability to sing healthily and teaching others to do the same. The size and power is awesome, it's also sustainable.

I've had a lot experience with lead singers who can't make a full set list. Their voices go in the second set. Sustainability! And also, Song Order! Don't do AC/DC up front!
    Ken spends a lot of time reminding us to care for our vocal chords. This is very wise. And the Proof is in the Sustainment. :)
    I highly recommend listening to Ken's early album Ken Tamplin and Friends. It should be available on Spotify. I think Ken showcases his entire skill set on this album. E.g. Never Give Up, I Hear Crying.