Home Off Topic

Relative Pitch Ear Training

VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
Just wanted to get this out for feed back, been working with www.tonedear.com for some time now and been doing them every day.

Finished!

You identified 34 of 60 correctly, or 56.67%
Interval Times Heard Times Wrong Accuracy
Minor 2nd 8 1 87.50%
Major 2nd 8 3 62.50%
Minor 3rd 9 8 11.11%
Major 3rd 9 3 66.67%
Perfect 4th 8 6 25.00%
Perfect 5th 8 4 50.00%
Octave 10 1 90.00%

Is this any good?

Vocality

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    there is a "how to practice" on the page itself. i've done it for almost a year now. they recommend 90% for everything, each individual interval, not only the averaged. i am nearly there but need a few more weeks probs to be at 90 consistently.

the trick for me was to not overdo it with too many different ones in the beginning. you know how you can customise it on the side? you start with only the major third, perfect fifth, and octave. i did 100-200 questions per day (i basically did it on all the KTVA singing days as part of the routine)

when they are all there 90% consistently, you add another step. if that is at 90%, next, and so on. this way, you don't overwhelm yourself with too many choices, and you will get to hear that one interval more often to drive it in.

it takes patience but you will get motivated by the improvements. if you sing along when the yplay the question you also drive in the intervals into your voice but i am mostly to lazy for this ;)
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    edited February 2020
    @Klaus_T Thanks for your input, did start on the basic triads and got automatically upgraded to the point where I am now. Been doing them for say 5months progress has slowed, but think it’s now beginning to improve.

Now my targets are set!
    i do in the browser so it starts from scratch every time
    oh ok so you start from scratch every time, might have been doing it wrong then started from where I finished previous day.
    not sure if that's right or wrong, i just ended up doing it like that.
    well It seems to be working if your close to 90 percent.
    i am not sure how your app is set, note how there will also be the option of ascending and descending intervals. you can practice ascending and descending individually, and then graduate to do both. again, this is all in the spirit of not overloading your brain with too much information
    Just a little update on my ear training if anyone is interested.

My previous results back in Febuary are above a bit of progress this takes time!!!

Finished!

You identified 62 of 80 correctly, or 77.50%
    Minor 2nd 11 1 90.91%
    Major 2nd 12 5 58.33%
    Minor 3rd 11 4 63.64%
    Major 3rd 11 1 90.91%
    Perfect 4th 12 3 75.00%
    Perfect 5th 12 3 75.00%
    Octave 11 1 90.91%

The interval the minor 3rd seams to be tricky one for me to hear though.
    edited July 2020
    hi George, well done for the progress. i think you could get even better results if you would start with the more basic ones first and then progress (for example, you just do major 3rd, perfect 5th and octave). you only move on once you are over 90% on all of them steadily. then you add another one. there are just too many choices if you have all of them in the mix. compared to our daily singing training: you don't learn how to do compression, support, pitch, vowel mods, distortion, etc all in one day. you focus on one, and build up...
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Nice progress!! I would also recommend to apply this skill to your actual playing and own voice. For instance: If you play a random note, can you sing a major 2nd above it? Check with your instrument to see if you were right. Can you sing a major 2nd down from that note? (minor 7th if you will). Check with your instrument. See if you can become reliable with 1 interval, then move on to another.

What you can also do: try to see if you start hearing intervals correctly in music, and check when you can. Or when you play along with a track. See how it goes!

I am not a pro at this, but i think this can help a lot with implementing the knowledge. Connecting with your voice is a powerful tool, and i see it recommended more often. It's nice to see other people here trying to further their musical understanding etc. It's something i am also doing myself!

Thanks @Klaus_T and @bentk, it's really nice to see input from different angles.

Klaus_T will take your advice always looking areas to improve upon, try it from the basic intervals up and will start it from 100 questions.

@bentk this sounds more advanced but it could help me zone in on melodies in a song better, reckon thats an area need to zone in on by applying my voice to these interval certainly want to experiment a bit with my keyboad see how I get on.

George :)
    another thing, but i am not sure if it is really good practice, i heard random youtubers advice against it. i only learned later that it might not be the "true" way to learn it, so for me, it was naturally that i did it like this, not sure if it has any disadvantage:

you can remember songs which for example start with certain intervals, or have a memorable leap somewhere. and then use this as a mnemonic for the interval. for me it is the ET soundtrack for the perfect 5th, and a german christmas song for the perfect 4th. the minor 6th was a part from "lucy in the sky..." by the beatles
    @Klaus_T Yeah i read this more often. Some seem to like it. I kind of assume it's better to connect your voice and just hear the intervals as they are. When you are able to synchronize this knowledge and skill with your instrument, it will probably be a very powerful tool.

I guess, what you would want is instant recall.
    Well like to post progress from time to time just to show progress this is my highest score to date.

Finished!

You identified 186 of 200 correctly, or 93.00%
    Minor 2nd 32 1 96.88%
    Major 2nd 25 0 100.00%
    Minor 3rd 20 3 85.00%
    Major 3rd 30 0 100.00%
    Perfect 4th 14 2 85.71%
    Tritone 9 0 100.00%
    Perfect 5th 31 5 83.87%
    Minor 6th 3 0 100.00%
    Major 6th 1 0 100.00%
    Octave 35 3 91.43%
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    Pretty good scores George!!
    Nice, you are getting a good ear for these things! Are you able to pick them out in songs as well? Like picking out melodies with your relative pitch?

I encourage you to keep this up and explore other ear training as well!
    Thanks @sjonrokz4u just over a years ear training happy with my progress.

Thanks @bentk one thing noticed learing melodies much faster now, couple years ago it was so difficult and now seems much more automatic. Being accurate singing the melody needs work going in the right direction now.