Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Crazy on You--Vocal Contest

So I entered a local singing contest in my hometown, and I've gotten to the finals both times I've competed before, but I'm really trying to kick it into overdrive this time. The contest is divided into three rounds and judged on technique (65%), performance (25%) and song difficulty (10%). I did the first round, and now I have six weeks to prepare for round 2 and I'm all ears.

This was my first round song: Crazy on You by Heart. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HslsuTjw7D4 (I totally didn't realize that was a recent posting--mad props to Jaclyn Serre for a great version of that!)

Judges really enjoyed it, mentioned there were a few parts off-key, which I do hear, and that maybe I need to try singing less--that part I don't fully understand. Since last time I've worked on not cutting off the notes too early, not losing breath support midway through, and not having any song that's too long, all of which I think sank me last time. But I know there are going to be some great singers out there, so any way to stand out would be greatly appreciated.

Second round song will most likely be More than a Feeling by Boston (or maybe Tennessee Whiskey, which I do in more of a Sam Cooke style, but everyone does that song at this contest).

Third round I want to tackle Mother Father by Journey.

Comments

• sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    Please post your more than a feeling if you do that. I’m very jealous of your range lol. The first thing that comes to my mind is focus on that pitch that’s isnt up high but nice work on the high notes
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    If you can manage to give the same tonal quality in the verse as in the chorus, that will help alot. Keep your support and brightness in the verses.
  • HardRockGuruHardRockGuru 2.0 PRO Posts: 12
    I guess that makes sense. I'm trying to get a bit of mood contrast between the verse and the chorus, so I'm probably covering a bit, but that's definitely something that wouldn't make as much sense for More than a Feeling especially. Also, if there's a different, more technical way of getting that tonal contrast, I'd definitely be open to that, but if not, I'll see how it turns out keeping the tone quality! Thank y'all for the response!
  • Kevin123Kevin123 2.0 PRO Posts: 101
    Good job. That is a tough song!