Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Can’t get passed G5

Hi, super thankful for Ken’s video that’s been helping me a lot. I’ve been wanting develop my head voice but I find there to be a wall around G5 that I can’t get passed, I can make it sound not breathy but anything above F5 requires too much breath and volume. (Doing the descending scale with Ken in his head voice YouTube videos) Are there any good exercises/tips in getting up to and passed the G5? Or Maybe G5 is my cap? Heard other vocal coaches talk about a third passaggio and flageolet is this where I need to develop that and flip like chest to head?

Thanks!

Comments

• wojtekwojtek Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 96
    edited July 2020
    I would focus on completely cutting back the air and finding that placement when You're up top.
    I found that it feels a little different in upper part of the throat, when I "sing" C5-D5 and F5-G5 (I go there only in scales actually).
    Also for me it is easier to go in a strong head voice/mix to reach G5 (I cannot do it in falsetto - because of the air).
    Another thing is to try not to squeeze out the highest note by force but rather conciously make it thinner, manage air flow, support (don't overdoo it) and get that feel in the back of the throat.

That's just from my little experience (I can only go up to G#5)
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I had to take the video out, sorry mate but we cant have other vocal coaches methods here at the KTVA forum.

I know there is a whistle register, im not sure if there is another passagio to get to it though. I understand what you mean by feeling like you are having to use more air and volume as you get higher. You do really need to use ALOT of support to get those notes and reshape your throat to find the next pocket. With regularity also comes more control so you can sing those notes quietly and loudly. The higher you go, the longer it takes to grow the strength to reach the next note until you do reach your actual limit.
  • johneshinjohneshin Member Posts: 2
    Ah, my bad sorry just heard a few people talk about flageolet and thought that person explained it well as i havent come across Ken talk about it haha. Ill keep working at those exercises thanks!