Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Having Confidence and Learning to Love "My" Voice

Greetings KTVA! I have spoken with Ken, and as soon as I'm financially able, will purchase and begin the program!

On to my thoughts:

Without going into the whole back-story, I'm one of those people who is tired of doubting my voice. I know I have issues with control, pitch and nasality, and I'm willing to work on them. My biggest issue, however, is my lack of confidence. Does confidence just come with experience? I've seen people who could not stay on pitch to save their lives win over a crowd from their confidence, and I want that.

Thanks all, and I look forward to joining the family!

-Dan

Comments

• MattMatt Pro Posts: 197
    Hi Dan, welcome to the forum!

Glad you're joining the program soon, you'll soon grow leaps and bounds.

In regards to confidence, it's not a simple one to answer. It kind of depends why you are lacking confidence. Generally, a lack of confidence comes from fear of failure or making a fool of oneself. You have to bite the bullet and face the potential failure in the face. You'll either A not fail and do a damn good job. in which case you'll (maybe instantly) gain confidence or B fail but realize it's not so bad and pick yourself and try again, gaining confidence through tries. Failure in this case being hitting a bum note for example.

The first step is always the hardest, but it gets easier (and a shot of whiskey tends to help too! But that's just me)

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, regarding to this or not, post away; this forum is bursting with helpful and friendly people.

Cheers

Matt
  • dvickers79dvickers79 Member Posts: 4
    Matt,

For me, it's a combination of things...the most of which involves being laughed at repeatedly over the years at trying to get better an open up to people.

I realize now that allowing others to dictate my happiness is wrong, and I think this whole journey is about discovering myself again through music, and learning not to care what others (family/friends) think and say.

Thanks for your comments!
  • lexlex Pro Posts: 3

Matt,

For me, it's a combination of things...the most of which involves being laughed at repeatedly over the years at trying to get better an open up to people.

I realize now that allowing others to dictate my happiness is wrong, and I think this whole journey is about discovering myself again through music, and learning not to care what others (family/friends) think and say.

Thanks for your comments!
    Very good point.  The truth is that our most favorite artists had their own sounds.  Prince and Michael Jackson did not sound like anyone else out there.  I know it's hard to listen to yourself sometimes (I have that problem as well).  But, knowing that it is a process to getting better really helps.  I have worked with sls and ss off and on for a couple of years and spent far too much money.  I decided to go with the Ken Tamplin course because it is more similar to the way I was used to singing (most of my belting comes from running and singing cadence while in the army).  You need to find something that you want to be able to do in a song and then work at it until you get it.  That really helps your confidence.  For instance, I may work on a riff or vocal run, or one really high note (I'm a low baritone).  And even though I may practice in a lower register, the way it feels when I get it right is amazing.  There is little in life that is more gratifying than accomplishing a goal (no matter how small). 

As far as "the voices in your head" go, it's simply a matter of visualization.  I swear, sometimes, that I can here some old high school friends in my ear telling me that it doesn't sound good (Even though I am 31).  There are many ways to combat that.  For instance, you could visualize being onstage and wowing the crowd no matter how you sound.  Or you could imagine serenading some beautiful woman just because you can. 

Another thing that I did when I joined the military was to have an image of myself.  My best self.  And I would do everything in my power to mimic what I thought that would be or look like.  In about 6 months I was no longer acting, I became my "best self". 

Singing is one of those things that can make a crowd full of people stop and remember to appreciate life (Check any flash mob).  So, remember that when you practice voice or when you take voice lessons you are LIVING YOUR LIFE as opposed to SUFFERING IT.  People who try to dictate your happiness are nothing more than bullies and the fact that you took this step towards reaching your goals means that you are stronger than your fears and will ultimately succeed and exceed your expectations.  My two cents.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited May 2013

This is a great thread.  A great starting post with great answers.

That is what this Forum is all about!

dvickers79, when you get your program, then dive right in and make yourself at home.  Do everything Ken shows you, exactly like he shows you.  Practice your fanny off! 

You're going to do just fine!  Be confident in that!  It's going to be whatever you make of it, so make it a Great Experience!

Welcome to KTVA.

Bob

• dvickers79dvickers79 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks guys...advice that I will most definitely take to heart and remember when it gets hard to see the end-goals.

Thanks,
    Dan
  • opgallianoopgalliano Pro Posts: 61
    Words of the wise I heard here before, " what makes a good singer is because they got the guts to sing". Sound familiar?