Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Lower laryngeal position scales

In some of the YT videos on open throat technique Ken says that it's much better to start training with lower laryngeal position implying It would help to understand this concept better. And once we learn it, we can move it up and down. I find it extremely useful.

At the same time we should aim for a nice bright ping. But how do we fully open this ping if we train low?

When I train low, I can feel that my throat is fully open. As soon as I reach for the ping it seems like I lose power in the chest.
So what do we do?

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Can you put a link to the video and a time stamp on it so I can see what you are referring to?
  • Aleksooo7Aleksooo7 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 133
    You mean Ken saying it?
    https://youtu.be/N64nvAbgO6k

From 4:30
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Thanks for putting this in here, I remember watching this some time ago. We train with it lowered so we dont default to a raised position as we go higher like what Ken mentions about choking off the throat. Its possible that you are either using too much air or not properly supporting the note or both for why you cant get the ping. It can be difficult in the beginning to learn to use your voice in a different way and all the things just haven't come together yet. Feel free to post a scale of your problem and we will see if there is anything we can identify :smile:
    I posted it somewhere. Maybe you can tell me. Is there any indication of the ping?)))
    Or I'm using too much air?

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    you are losing quite a bit of air, and there is indeed not so much ping in there. open your mouth and smile.

you can just experiment with different positions etc and listen for the bright ping, you will recognize it from listening to Ken
    Thanks. Smiling is an interesting approach. I haven't heard of it so far, but I'll try)
    also imitate Ken's facial expressions whereever possible
    It's also quite hard to get what open throat is. Is my throat open or not?
    there are lots of concepts related to open throat, like vowel mods, avoiding consonants, and you will have to learn to feel it, and be able to keep it open. by doing the exercises, it will become second nature.

the facial expressions also help to keep it open, if done right. keep at it, and it will come