Home Psychology of Singing

Mindset

I haven't done vocal warmups in a month.
The truth is, I have this terrible fear of anyone hearing my voice.
Is there a way I can overcome this?

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited July 2020
    do you have a place where you can be on your own? maybe in a car? a shed?

i used to be very worried about it too, i never really sang when anyone was around. it is something you will have to overcome. some people are naturally less timid with it, and some people have very unsupportive environments, you will just have to figure out a way. singing into a pillow could be something you could try if you must. it is not ideal, but will cover a lot of the sound if you need to be "undercover". you will also get used to being heard, people will comment and you will find out it is not the end of the world if they do
  • TessyijachiTessyijachi Member Posts: 34
    Klaus_T said:

do you have a place where you can be on your own? maybe in a car? a shed?

i used to be very worried about it too, i never really sang when anyone was around. it is something you will have to overcome. some people are naturally less timid with it, and some people have very unsupportive environments, you will just have to figure out a way. singing into a pillow could be something you could try if you must. it is not ideal, but will cover a lot of the sound if you need to be "undercover". you will also get used to being heard, people will comment and you will find out it is not the end of the world if they do

Unfortunately I do not have a place I can be alone😔. I never sing when people are around either. I guess I'm just terrified of what people would think. I'll try to find a way. Thank you for your help.
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    There are methods to over coming fear. It's called desensitisation. You take very small steps at a time getting comfortable in a situation before taking further steps. An easy analogy is someone with a fear of heights. They will walk up a stair case until the fear sets in and then stop. They spend however long it takes on that step for the fear to subside. Then continue up the stairs until the fear sets in again and repeat the process.

The next day they may only get to the same spot before needing to stop but the memory of the day before when every thing was fine means they spend less time there before being able to continue.

In this fashion with small steps at a time, you will eventually be able to over come the fear. Even if it's always there, your previous experience will help you get through it.
    Courage is not the absence of fear, but the willingness to confront it.
  • TessyijachiTessyijachi Member Posts: 34
    Wigs said:

There are methods to over coming fear. It's called desensitisation. You take very small steps at a time getting comfortable in a situation before taking further steps. An easy analogy is someone with a fear of heights. They will walk up a stair case until the fear sets in and then stop. They spend however long it takes on that step for the fear to subside. Then continue up the stairs until the fear sets in again and repeat the process.

The next day they may only get to the same spot before needing to stop but the memory of the day before when every thing was fine means they spend less time there before being able to continue.

In this fashion with small steps at a time, you will eventually be able to over come the fear. Even if it's always there, your previous experience will help you get through it.
    Courage is not the absence of fear, but the willingness to confront it.

Thank you so much, this helped a lot.
    I'll try to take small steps and hopefully overcome my fear