Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Greetings from Dubai :)

Hello! I'm a 19-year old girl who lives in Dubai, U. A. E (I'm actually from Kerala, India).

I've been interested in pursuing music for a while now. I started taking guitar lessons when I was 14, but I sorta quit after about 2-3 years out of frustration. I went through three different guitar teachers, and I wasn't clicking with any of them. I wanted to take vocal lessons at the same time, but most singing teachers here come from a Carnatic/Hindustani background (totally not my style).

In my last year of high school, I was invited to join a public speaking society/club thing. One of the activities we were assigned was to present something creative. A dance routine, an art piece, or a song. Me and a group of friends decided to do a medley of different songs. I was supposed to play guitar, but I wanted to sing along as well. I distinctly remember a girl telling me that I should 'just stick to playing guitar' when she heard me sing. I was extremely embarrassed, and decided to just be a fan of music from then on (by the way, the day we were supposed to perform this stuff never came, for reasons I can't remember)

I started taking my voice seriously again a year and a half later. I was completely blown away by the way people like Layne Staley, Chris Cornell, Maynard James Keenan, Bruce Dickinson, Janis Joplin and Grace Slick sang, and I wanted to sound like that. Thus began my long journey of finding a quality vocal coach.

I started out by asking my singer friends how they learned to sing, but their answers were pretty unhelpful ('just sing along to songs!'). I looked for private coaches but they turned out to be hideously expensive. I finally turned to the online medium. I did tons of research on good online singing courses. KTVA turned out to be the only one where I was convinced I could climb up to new heights.

I've been practicing with the KTVA course for a week now, and I'm already improving and having fun. I can't wait to see how I sound a year from now, and I look forward to sharing videos here soon.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    Welcome to the forums, @BlueberryBells !

You will learn a lot from Ken's course!

Bob
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Hello and welcome🙂 Good on you for not giving up on pursuing something you enjoy. Combined with the help and information in this forum, the course will give you years of things to practice and learn. Check out the student area for plenty of helpful conversations.

I look forward to hearing you.