Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Really Frustrated! SOAR Troat (small red dots in the back) Please Help! New Band..

knustepleknusteple Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 1
I did just join a rock band as a vocalist. The first practice really went so great! And the band was impressed of my voice. I have been applying the vocal repair course lately. Because i really have a struggle with my throat lately. It started with a "lump" sensation in the back of the throat. Lately it´s gotten a lot worse. I just learned to sing from the stomach. To be honest i have been singing from the throat my whole life. Because i did not have a clue how to sing from the stomach. Thats why i bought the Ken Tamplin coarses. I woke up yesterday and looked in the mirror got kind of shocked when i saw two red dots in the back kind of looked like (mouth ulcers) but i don´t know. Still i did sing the "ken tamplin vocal repair" but i was not satisfied at all how my throat affected my singing. I went to the second practice and i really felt i let the band down. My throat felt really soar and i did my best to finish it. Tonight i was trying the vocal repair again. After the first video lesson i really feel that there are something wrong with my throat. So i had to stop. It has never been this ill before. I also do it quiet like Ken Tamplin says in the videos. Right now its like the throat acts up as soon as i start to sing. Even if i sing from the stomach. What am i doing wrong? Singing means everything to me so i´m so fed up.

Comments

• sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    I’d suggest you see an ent. But I’ll tag @doc_ramadani and see what he says
  • HillbillySeanHillbillySean 2.0 PRO Posts: 7
    I've had this same kind of problem. I sing in a band and do these exercises. I went to an ENT because I was sure that something was majorly wrong. The ENT scoped me and asked me to sing. She sad everything was fine but I was squeezing the crap out of my throat and trying to utilize smaller muscles of the throat to muscle up in to the notes I want to hit...not sustainable. She suggested I go see a speech pathologist to retrain how I sing. So...I havent seen the speech pathologist yet but I went back to volume 1 and started really paying attention to what Ken is saying and focusing on not straining my throat. Hang in there man, I feel your pain.
    I’m curious did going back make a difference?
  • sambosambo 2.0 PRO Posts: 54
    Wow. I hope your voice healed @knusteple. Sorry.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @knusteple,

I think it is a good advice to check with an ENT. It is likely that you are oversinging. Try to backup your singing volume and let resonance (PING) take over.

Doc
  • mctornbergmctornberg 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 12
    edited November 2020
    knusteple said:

I did just join a rock band as a vocalist. The first practice really went so great! And the band was impressed of my voice. I have been applying the vocal repair course lately. Because i really have a struggle with my throat lately. It started with a "lump" sensation in the back of the throat. Lately it´s gotten a lot worse. I just learned to sing from the stomach. To be honest i have been singing from the throat my whole life. Because i did not have a clue how to sing from the stomach. Thats why i bought the Ken Tamplin coarses. I woke up yesterday and looked in the mirror got kind of shocked when i saw two red dots in the back kind of looked like (mouth ulcers) but i don´t know. Still i did sing the "ken tamplin vocal repair" but i was not satisfied at all how my throat affected my singing. I went to the second practice and i really felt i let the band down. My throat felt really soar and i did my best to finish it. Tonight i was trying the vocal repair again. After the first video lesson i really feel that there are something wrong with my throat. So i had to stop. It has never been this ill before. I also do it quiet like Ken Tamplin says in the videos. Right now its like the throat acts up as soon as i start to sing. Even if i sing from the stomach. What am i doing wrong? Singing means everything to me so i´m so fed up.

This is a really perfect forum where you can find almost every answer and also find other singers in same stage. The sentences you first wrote could´ve been written by me, it´s exactly as I have been struggling last year. I´ve been singer in a rock band for one and a half year and have been singing in a mixed, not correct, way using most of my speaking register and high notes, but the high notes in an Axl-Rose-way, no offence to Axl, but more like a "squeezed-cat-way", and the mixed voice and all between speaking register and high notes were hard to sing, I don´t haven´t used the cords to speak or sing in that position.

I bought the KTVA course about a year ago, and rushed to fast in the beginning, felt that there was no problem to reach the tones Ken sang, but my throat and neck were choking to get there. Two weeks ago I said to mysef, I have to stop getting hoarse every time at the rehearsal studio, my voice are getting soar. So I started the course from beginning, but this time I paid attention to what Ken sais, rewinded and wrote down some to really understand, the scales shifting to aa, ey, oo and oh etc. and concentrated to only breathe with abdominal region, keeping chest in same position. I recorded myself to see that throat and neck weren´t strained, only for higher notes the "inside/back" of throat are tensed to lift the cords to make the sound lighter, correct or not, I don´t know?

Also taking care of to really warm up and noticed that if not oversinging there is actually some ping in the voice that I haven´t noticed before and try to relax to keep that level of singing to not oversing and get hoarse. I have some speed bumps that I have to train with, but I feel I can better than before keep the volume level of the whole scales, but only as a beginner still of course.

Last month back, and also at some time during the last year, I feel a little soar in throat also when speaking and drink coffee it also feels a little soar. Also have some small dots in the throat. Also feels more soar when the humidity in the air is lower during autumn and winter. Do you think I should see an ent or just avoid coffee for a while? I don´t feel so soar that I need to see an ent, at least the singing works quite fine on the scales.

I really go inte bad habits when try to sing songs I´ve been singing the last year, I´ve learnt in one way and have to learn in a new way. So i feel that the best would be to just take a break in rehearsals to not sing correct and get problems with voice later on.

I don´t understand the glottal compression, I don´t know if I do it. I can close the cords as if holdin my breathe and just let go of little air with a sound, but is is different ways of doing this or how do you know to do this correct?

Sorry for long text but this is really interesting to find out the secret awakening of singing :)
    Go see an ENT. Then you’ll know if something is going on or it’s just bad technique