Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

The Game of Love (Karaoke)

I would appreciate your comments: @Vocality, @doc_ramadani, @Wigs, @Chris82 @FurryMurry, @sjonrokz4u, @Mysti, @Gunnar364, @DogMeat, @Michael4000

Comments

• Michael4000Michael4000 STREAMING PRO Posts: 992
    Not bad! Is this your first post of a recording? I don't think I've heard you sing before. How long have you been doing the course and what is your exercise routine?

I thought some parts were ok and some were shaky. Pitch was definitely off when you hit the high notes. I would suggest practicing this slowly along with a piano or some other instrument and match the pitch exactly, then incorporate it into singing the song.

There are too many effects on your vocals, in my opinion. I don't think it sounds very good this way, plus it makes it difficult to evaluate your singing with some of the effects on top of the background singing, everything kind of Blends and blurs together.

I thought the belted note right before the guitar solo was solid.

Keep at it!!! I almost quit many many times...only like a year ago, maybe a little more. Are you listening to your singing in real time with headphones and ear buds? That helps tremendously. Also you should be using recording software and going back to listen to your singing.

• jmstanlejmstanle 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 141
    @Michael4000 Pitch is an issue for me and I've improved however, I was not aware that I was so pitchy when I sing this one. So yeah it was good to record and listen back. This song range sometimes is on the brink between chest voice and head voice and I believe that is where I become most vulnerable to being pitchy. I need more diaphragm support. I noticed that when I concentrated more on that I was able to hit that really high note with chest that you liked. I do not use head phones so I will give that a try. I'm just singing with a Karaoke program that records and has all the background singers and stuff. You can listen to my other recordings from my Smule profile: https://www.smule.com/JudieStanley.

I have been in the program since late January. My exercise routine for the past couple of months now has been the Volume 2 Diva Workouts. So I am still working on growing my chest voice as that is improving so much still.

I will record more often. Usually I just do the workouts every night and I don't try any songs because by the time I'm done with the workouts my voice muscles are done. But then when I give them a 24 hour rest I can sing a song better than before. I guess I need a more gentle warm up routine for when I want to sing a song. LOL.

Thanks for you comment! I'm not giving up!
  • Michael4000Michael4000 STREAMING PRO Posts: 992
    Another tip is to do the exercises with a microphone and headphones to match pitch and get real time feedback
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    When you do songs record them every time you sing them and listen back to each one. I’m getting the impression from what your saying you just workout the song and then record it. Learn part of it then record yourself and listen back and keep repeating this process a chunk at a time. It’s not real time feed back but it will definitely expose the weak points and show you what needs to be worked on. This wasn’t close to how well you did Jolene. I’m not sure what was different in your process but I think if you take a couple lines at a time as you learn the song and record and listen and repeat a bunch of times you will find it a great help. I also bought a cheap small kustom monitor for around the house if your thinking something like that. They have a couple models tat are loud enough for home but not too loud. One is 85$ and one is $120
    @sjonrokz4u - I think what is different between this song and Jolene is the range in this one is a little difficult for me and also I was not aware of how pitchy I was so I should have done what you suggest and check on it in chunks. I do have an amp and mic that I use - got it for Christmas! That was even before I started the voice lessons because I am actually in a band at work. Well we are a club for musicians but we do play together and even were performing before COVID-19 for group parties at work!!! I played piano and can play along on a keyboard. It's just fun.
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Ill agree with the above comments, but ill add that I can hear good use of the vowels in your mid range. I won't go into too much else here since this is the public area, but when you go for the high notes, think about the vowel mod you use in your scales ;)
    @Wigs thanks for noticing the vowels and thanks for the hint to think about the vowel mods on the high notes! And how do I know the difference here between public and private? I thought it was all the same ???
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Since you are enrolled in 2.0, your member banner is green. When you go to the categories you should see blue categories which is the public area of the forum, and there are also green categories which is only accessed by students. These contain the titles such as volume 1 ect.
  • FurryMurryFurryMurry 2.0 PRO Posts: 56
    Hi @jmstanle! I've listened to several of your other demos and I can tell that you are getting better and better every time! :smile:

Do you remember how you felt after singing this? I remember that your voice would often get tired after singing. Make sure to drink plenty of pure water throughout the day! It will help keep your vocal muscles hydrated and help them be more elastic!

P.S. How is the horsey doing? :smile:
    @FurryMurry - Thanks for the compliment! I think you are correct re water. Yesterday I was singing up a storm and belting continuously in chest voice with Pandora station of REO Speedwagon/Styx which also had songs from ELO, Boston, and the like. And my voice did not seem to get tired for a long, long time! And I was drinking a ton of water because we had a steak mid day supper ( I only eat humanely raised and butchered B.T.W and only once a week the rest of the time no meat and just Tofu) and my husband seasons it with a seasoning that is somewhat salty. But that's the way we like it. But in general my voice is getting stronger but I now alternate between belting and softer voice. I will do one scale belting and then one with gentler voice and I think that helps.

Ranger is doing great! He is 30 years old now and enjoying his retirement in the pasture with his 2 buddies, Axl Rose and Pippin.
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    @jmstanle Thanks for posting up some more of your singing for us! Sorry I'm a little late to the show, life has been a bit "real" for me lately and this forum took the back burner for a bit. I agree with the pitch and honestly think thats the biggest issue here. I have no doubt if you keep at the program your pitch will improve. Keep on singing I can't wait to hear your voice continue to improve! Ken doesn't have anything on pitch in the main course but he rectified that by making a series just on pitch that is available to you here on the forums. Here is the link:

https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/3599/basic-pitch-training-videos#
    @Chris82 I will keep at it and work on pitch... Thanks for the link!