Home Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy REVIEWS

Another review (Things finally clicked!!)

I wrote a review before.. but I felt like I needed to share this..
I've been practicing on Whitney Houston songs a lot recently. (She is a great example to learn from, I think.)
But for months I have been straining myself on the higher notes. Until yesterday, it suddenly just clicked... It's really strange. I am finally able to hit the high notes with ease, keeping my throat open. I think I have been singing about 4 hours today, without any problems. Today I also found my natural vibrato. <3 Which also suddenly just clicked. I just kept my throat relaxed, and it feels so amazing.
Damn, singing is so much more enjoyable when things are finally falling into place. I have to force myself to stop.. :D
It's incredible how much improvement I made after only 2 MONTHS!! into KTVA.

The only side note that I need to make is that I can currently only do this on Whitney Houston songs.. :D I tend to close my throat again on other songs. So I think I should continue singing Whitney Houston for a while until I get completely comfortable with keeping my throat open.

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Wow that's awesome! I've recently started feeling something similar when I try to hold B4 - D5 but I'm only able to do it in my scales so far and that taken me almost 2 years! But hey, I'm not complaining, at least when I sing songs in my lower register it now sounds like I'm actually singing 😁

Whitney is a powerhouse but good choice to practice this stuff cause quite a few songs are very contiguous with long notes. I'm very happy for your progress!
  • NinaSTNinaST 2.0 PRO Posts: 91
    Thanks!
    D5 is also pretty great! I am glad you're still making progress. :)

Actually when I reflect on it I think I managed to keep my throat open because I was focussing on different things. Usually I focussed on pitch a lot, but now I focussed more on sound color and staying relaxed.

And yeah indeed.. I somehow feel that "I will love you" is relatively easy compared to her other ballads, because the vowels are so long and open. But obviously it's still pretty damn hard to sing it the way she does.

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Congratulations on your aha moments, @NinaST!

Keep track of what you are doing when everything is coming together for you. The more you experience it, the more you will be able to recall and recreate it.

Plateaus will come and go, but we hang on to the good things and keep our sights set on our goals. Step-by-step we will get there, with perseverance!

• mistic_impmistic_imp 2.0 PRO Posts: 23
    that's awesome!! i have been singing lots of Whitney lately too LOL I think she is great for learning! keep it up.

i agree the plateaus are hard, and some times it hard to know where to go next or what to workon without any outside guidance. that is sort of where i am, now , trying to get feedback and stay motivated.