Home Welcome

Old dog... new trick?

LTPugLTPug 2.0 PRO Posts: 8
My name is Lance, I am new to this. I just got the DL from the website. I am 48, married for 28 years, with 2 kids and 3 grandkids. One of my boys is special needs so he takes a certain amount of my time. I am a USAF Disabled veteran, what is scary is I am 48 and want to sing like a truly great singer can. I love the blues, and gospel, and country, even rock but not any rock I mean when rock was defining a generation. 70's - 80s era. CCR, Foghat, Three Dog Night, Skynard, zeppelin, Joplin, Queen, ACDC, Slaugther, Kiss, I mean I could go on and on. But I have a question to ask, can an old dog learn a new trick? I've always loved to sing, but I think I sound better to myself then anyone else. I love how I feel alive when Motley Crew comes on, and your just jamming, people are staring but you don't care, cause you feel so alive. I watched the movie Rock of Ages with the wife, and we are singing our hearts out, and the dogs have quizzical looks on their faces, our son is running into the room asking who is taking a cheese grater to a cat. Yeah! that kind of fun ride. But I loved how I felt, that feeling, I can only imagine how much better it can be if some one says I love to hear you sing. Or perhaps this for my 30 anniversary, to sing John Micheal Montgomery's version of "I swear". Thats our song BTW. So when I saw Ken on the internet saying anyone can learn to sing, well to me that was a challenge, the gauntlet was thrown. So I say this to you Mr. Tamplin. Challenge Accepted!

Comments

• sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    Congrats on your purchase man. I’m 56 I started in January. I have played music most of my life so I think that’s helped and taken almost 2 years of private lessons beforehand but coming in to this I couldn’t sing most songs cuz it seemed like every one had a part that was too high. This week I started working on one of my goal songs. Sweet child o mine. I’m doing the first two verses. The pitch is there but the tone isn’t yet but I think that’s due to not being strong enough yet to get good tone. Point is I tried it a couple months ago and no way. I don’t know if you have a musical background but remember music is a discipline and it seems like singing has taken a lot of that and dedication to working on things other than songs. Eventually the boring exercise pay off. I’m sure your familiar with discipline being Air Force. Thank you for your service my band used to play for the troops all over the world
  • LTPugLTPug 2.0 PRO Posts: 8
    Sjonrokz4u, hey man I really appreciate that, also I really appreciate you doing what you can to help the men and women in the military. No, no musical background. Since being disabled in 96, Ive tried to reinvent my life several times, for 8 years after the service I had a hard time walking due to degenerative disc. I was going out of my mind just sitting there day in day out, taking Vicodin, watching my life just go by. Finally after two back surgeries, and a move to Colorado I found a love for photography, and composite art. But Ive always loved singing, in music the world can just disappear you know and your left with the sense of flow, I can't explain it, but it's how I get in my art work. It like time just doesn't exist anymore and you are at peace. I know it sound so metaphysical and I don't mean to sound that way, But something phycological happens that enables us to relax to connect to speak. I hope I do make a huge difference in my life by taking this course, I really do, I am really excited. But I was going through Vol 1 last night, and this morning my stomach muscle are really sore. Have you ever experienced that at all. I feel like I did a million setups.
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    I’ve never had the stomach muscle thing happen but I’ve heard other people say that hopefully someone who has will chime in
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Hi, @LTPug !

It's common to feel your abs be sore after singing and just trying support for the first time. It's a good sign, it means you are really trying to engage your gut when you sing, and that's where the power has to come from. Now you need to learn to relax your abs between phrases and between scales.

Once you get that, you will be able to build stamina. It's like how your heart takes a break in-between each beat. It's just enough to keep you going for a lifetime!

You will get an even bigger rush from singing than you do from art, if you're like me. I was on a track to be a graphic artist when I was young. Everybody was wowed by how well I could draw, and I really enjoyed it. But then along came music, and, well... Like you said, being in the FLOW of things, you're lost in the moment...

I said "Art! Who needs it? I want to PLAY!" The immediacy of making music in the NOW was so much more amazing than spending hours or weeks on one piece of art. And then for people to come up and tell you how amazing it was right after! There's nothing like it.

Well, that was a long time ago. I didn't really start to learn to SING until I was a little older than you are now. And it took me several years of getting nowhere with singing until I found Ken's program! Ten years ago I couldn't spell singer. And now I are one! I wasted a few years on the other singing programs, then found Ken's program, and everything eventually fell into place. I'm so glad I found Ken's program, and you will be, too.

And now I am back in the saddle with graphic arts AND playing and singing music. Everything comes full circle.

It just gets better.

Welcome to the forums!

Bob
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Welcome mate to the start of a new journey. To here will be aha moments and weeks on end with what feels like a grind just to keep what you have gained followed by another eureka! If you keep at it and properly apply, it's a rollercoaster that keeps bringing you up 🙂
  • GJUUMGJUUM 2.0 PRO Posts: 5
    Aloha together!
    I am on board since a few days only and noticing already great benefits from the exercises.
    This post is my first attempt gettin acquainted with the form and how it works as well as to see how to get to the "student zone" :smiley:

greetings from locked down berlin/germany !