Home Psychology of Singing

Reversing my Mindet

I've been singing since I was 4, not necessarily with a coach, but my family always put me down by telling me I shouldn't sing because I can't sing. And growing up those words stuck with me. I'm trying so hard to believe in myself and my voice, as well as reversing those harsh words that caused me to fear of sing, specially in front of people. I'm working hard to get out of my comfort zone and trying to get my mind in the right mindset, it's been a journey but, I'm still working on it.

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    just stick with it and keep singing. best to avoid the people who aren't supportive (at least while you practice).

try to ignore them as much as possible. you can and will learn to sing properly if you follow what Ken teaches, so you are in the right, they are wrong. it will be a long journey. since you won't be able to avoid everyone all the time, make sure to not clash with them too much, because you will need to do (nearly) daily exercises. so if you are too confrontative, that might not be in your favour, you need them to support you, if only by letting you do it (depending on your circumstances, this might not be a big issue anyway, i don't know).

for me, it took me ages to build up the courage to sing (i think it was a similar story, either my family or in school they would have said something similar to me too). i can't even remember, but when i first started to sing again (in my mid twenties) i was doing it in "secrecy", if you don't count the next door neighbours hearing it through the wall.

by doing it more often, you will muster the courage to show it to good friends for example who you know will be supportive or at least benevolent. then you can expand this and play for small audiences.

at first it seems a lot more scary than it is. first there is lots of resistance, but then it gets easier every time
  • mikapugamikapuga Member Posts: 10
    Thank you for that! Yeah I’m 27 and I’m fearful I might be too late to set off on my dream journey but I still want to try. Most of my friends had heard me sing and they say I sing good, I just lack a lot of confidence due to what people implanted in my brain. So every time I open my mouth I’m scared and hold back. But I’m trying to reverse that. Not only that but I fee like this program will help me. I don’t know I just have this strong feeling. And on the plus side, I’ve made an Instagram account to post my journey, this is me stepping out of my comfort zone so I hope something good comes from this 😊
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    Your wsyyyy young lol I started at 54. Yes the course will help but it will take work and discipline. If you’ve bought the course you should get your student access. If you haven’t bought the course one of the guys here have put together the videos they used to get going before they joined and apparently they’re pretty helpful but I don’t remember who it was
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    it was me @sjonrokz4u

i have the playlist on my profile page
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    Thanks @Klaus_T I knew it was one of the regulars I just couldn’t remember who cuz it never pertained to me. @mikapuga if you haven’t joined the course check it out
  • mikapugamikapuga Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2020
    I’ve tried many vocal programs in the past, they sort of work but the vocal coach was not as detailed as Ken is, but I will check out the videos, thank you so much for the tip!