Home› Psychology of Singing

My singing sucks after bad personal experience.

My dad recently had a heart attack and I was so worried that he was not gonna make it. ( I still am actually.)
I didn't sing for 3 days or so and now I am picking it up again, but my voice sucks!!
I can't keep my throat open and my breath support is gone. As if I completely forgot how to sing. Even my scales suck and my voice breaks in the passagio. (even though it wasn't a problem before.) I try to get it back, but it's all really forced.
I have made some breakthroughs recently, but all of it is gone and it's so frustrating.

How do I get back on track?

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited August 2020
    sorry to hear about this health scare! i think at the same time, it is your answer: you will probably have lots of tension in you now from the shock. try to relax as good as possible. of course real worries can't and should not be suppressed but try to avoid being too anxious and expecting the worst (which is of course easier said than done).

you could try to do relaxation exercises, like yoga, meditation, stretching, light workouts etc

another thing, with all of this on your mind, you will also be distracted, and anything that is not yet possible for you to do "on auto-pilot" will suffer in the process
  • NinaSTNinaST 2.0 PRO Posts: 91
    Thanks a lot for your reply!
    I am trying to find ways to relax a bit and my voice is getting better again. (Not completely how it was before, though.)
    I guess this tension will disappear over time.
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Very sorry to hear about this. I hope that you will be able to work through this. There is always help here at the forum if you need any. How is your father doing at the moment?

All the best,

Ben
  • NinaSTNinaST 2.0 PRO Posts: 91
    Thanks a lot for your comment Bentk!
    As for my voice, the tension is gone, luckily. And I recently started on volume 2 which is going great so far.
    I was really stressed out for a few days when it happened, but I feel much better now.
    As for my dad, he has a long road ahead to recover from it. It will be really tough. :( But he is a very optimistic person, I think that's his strenght. :)
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    It's normal to feel set back even after just a few days off. The longer you do the course, the longer breaks you can take without feeling like your starting from the beginning, but any time off will need a step back to get into the groove again. Just think to yourself, I have been able to do this before, so I will be able to do it again. More often you feel stronger 🙂
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Glad to hear that you are feeling better and that you lost the tension you had! I hope your father has a good recovery.

Stay strong.