Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Weak tones between chest and head voice

Hello guys,

I'm from Germany and my greatest hobby is the singing for years now. I'm also studying music at university and have singing lesson in classical singing, that's because it's been a long way changing my technique for singing modern songs...
I have a problem which many singing teachers couldn't help me with and which I'm still struggeling with...:/
It took some time for me to strengthen my mixed voice and my call-register (belting), because I've never learned that before. As I'm a high soprano, the high tones starting from c5 are no real problem to belt anymore, they're very strong. My chest voice's range is about d3-g4 until I have to change into my mixed voice. So there's the problem: from g flat4 to b4 I can't build up a strong voice, the tones are to weak and "airy"... that's really annoying as a lot of songs are having their stress there and also their high tones. I tried everything, some vowels are better than others but they can't enforce themselves... could you please help me? I know these tones are exactly where my chest voice would be too high, my head voice starts but is too low and thin, and where theoretically my mixed voice starts but I just don't know how to practice to make these 4 tones stronger and sounding exactly like the other ones. And that's so annoying, I haven't met anyone yet who could explain it to me correctly, also because all the other tones work in mixed voice, head or chest voice. Is it because it's the passagio and how can I practice to make them sound exactly as strong as the others?
Thank you very much!!
And Ken thank you for all you videos, you really helped me find my voice relating to mixed voice, belting and so on! :)

Many greetings from Bavaria,

Marei

Comments

• Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited September 2020
    connecting the registers seemlessly is one of the main focus points of bel canto, and also Ken's system, which is based off of bel canto. in the course, there is a very specific sequence of when to work out which "parts" of your voice, and we don't proceed unless we have mastered the current step. this is so that there is no disbalance or weak spots, which is exactly what happened for you. bringing down your head voice too low before having built a strong foundation in chest voice will actually atrophy the chest register. the same goes for singing in head most of the time, and neglecting chest. the course is set up so that you build your voice from the ground up. if you can afford it, i would strongly suggest getting the course, seeing how much you are interested in the subject. i cannot speak highly enough of the course, and a lot of people who tried dozens of teachers and methods agree that this course contains the information that they were always looking for but did not find anywhere else. if you think of how much a lesson with a vocal coach in your area is, the price of the course is a joke.

the exercises are well structured and leave no guess work, if you follow the exercises and Ken's advice, you are bound to achieve your goal.

while i would love to give you a practical tip for how to fix your issue, i really can't, because it is inded a complex subject, and took Ken many years to put into a comprehensive system. the fact that no one could ever answer your question on how to seemlessly connect the registers should be an indication for how complex this subject really is. but then, you can consider yourself lucky, because you found the answer, even though it is "hidden" in the course at the moment :)

viele Grüße aus Berlin!
  • Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Think of your mix voice not as an actual register, but your ability to choose how much percentage of head or chest you want in the sound. For example I'm a guy, I can sing full chest G4, and that's right near my chest register limit. If I back off the sound, I can start to bring in my head voice down there and have a 50/50 split, if I back of the sound even more I could make it head dominant and be 80/20, or even full headvoice.

Now I've only started singing the last couple years, and I'm going to make some generalisations about your voice and what I think could be happening.

Let's say your C5 and up is actually your head voice REGISTER, but you can belt out the notes using your chest voice, so far so good. What's going on is that yes you use chest voice but only in your head voice register. You haven't learned to properly use chest voice in your chest register. See how there is a difference between the 2? To get that lower part you are missing you need to work it out. Your chest or call register is weaker so it sounds airy or the tone isn't nice. Especially for the way you have been training so far it might take 6-12 months to grow this to the point you can start using it properly.

I hope this can give you a bit of direction to aim your workouts towards 🙂