Home› INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Hello! 😄

Hey there! I'm glad that I found a discussion forum like this. I am really passionate about singing. I hope I can find some good friends here who can help me out. I look forward to be friends with you.

So I have a question..
I don't really understand the concept of neutral larynx. Some say that it rises when you sing in a brighter tone. Othes say that it shouldn't rise even when you sing with a bright or soft tone. Is achieving a neutral larynx really very important. Because I even face tongue tension. These are the only two problems that restrict me to audition. I can sing pretty high but my voice gets strained a lot. Can you suggest some exercises for a neutral larynx if it's really very important.

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    You can test what your laryngeal position sounds like by trying to talk like yogi bear (lowered position) and kermit the frog (raised position). When you go to sing think about if the sound you are producing sounds like these. Kermit is what we want to avoid.

Your larynx does naturally rise when you sing higher, however we want it to stop at the neutral position instead of continuing up otherwise it will eventually choke off your sound. Keeping it neutral is the goal so you can have access to your full range and it sounding good and healthy.
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited September 2020
    it's good you found this place, it has lots of good info and nice and helpful people.

I can sing pretty high but my voice gets strained a lot.
    this is an absolute red flag, straining your voice is a sign you are not using proper technique, and it is possible to damage your voice in the long run. don't panic, there is a difference between mild oversinging and all-out mayhem, but be aware that if your vocie gets strained a lot, this is not something you can and want to continue doing.

absorb all the info you can from this forum, and if you don't already, start to do daily vocal exercise (with 1-2 days break per week). it really is the only way to grow your voice and keep it in shape. you can check out my profile for a suggestion on what to train in case you are not planning on buying the course (which i highly recommend)