Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Copperhead Road

Hi all,

Just give it a quick listen and post any feedback....it's hard for me to tell if things are changing a little or not...still early days though.

Got a bit off key towards the end but the next door neighbor was out on the back waving at me,....kinda lost the plot.

Best regards

ian

Comments

• dorrodorro Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 7

OOPS!

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Dorro,

Sounds pretty good, but it would be better for us if your instrument were lower in volume relative to your voice.  It's too hard to really hear your voice on this tune. Your other tune, Westfall, on Soundcloud is easier to hear your voice, though your voice could be up a little more on that one as well.

Nice tunes and nice playing.

Bob

Thanks Bob,

On westfall i had a go at using a mic.  Copperhead road was purely acoustic I Also think i put the camera in the wrong place (reflections i think)

Thanks for you kind words...it isn't easy when you don't read music or understand much of the theory....although in some ways i think it sets you free to really do what you feel and not what the textbooks say in the same respect the rules must be obeyed.

I must say thank you for taking the time, you must spend a lot of time listening to peoples efforts.

Regards

ian
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited May 2013

Ian,

Just to humor me, try a couple of soundchecks and move the mic (camera?) into places where it picks up your voice a little better than the (mandolin?). That would probably be higher up, if not at face-level.  And yes, the bright reflectivity of the room is going to tend to amplify the sound of the instrument more, since it has high-pitched strings.  The mic will probably need to be a lot closer than before in order to minimize some of the room sound. If you're less concerned about the looks of the video, you could place a blanket on a table, draped over the side near your mandolin, with the camera/mic up at a higher level.

What I'm suggesting is trying to create a "mix" acoustically, and mic placement, the volume you play your instrument, and your singing level is all you have to work with if you aren't using separate mics and a mixing console. 

Your soundchecks can help you to get the best mix that favors your voice prior to running down the song a few times to get a good recording.

It's a pleasure hearing your work.

Bob

edited May 2013
    Hi Bob.

been at the Video camera again!!!!

tried to get a better "image"

This song is right on the bottom end of my current register.

I still have pitch issues but do i hear a little more brightness???

Many thanks for your input once again.

Ian
    edited May 2013

Nice job, Ian.

You got a good balance of vocal to instrumental this time.  I appreciate that. 

You have a nice feel going, very personal like a Paul Simon ballad.  I only hear one place that had much of a pitch issue, at 1:16 on "I recall".   I recommend you practice that line over and over until you can hit that line confidently and accurately every time.  Back up a few measures and make sure you can nail it easily coming in to it from a few lines back.

More support will improve all aspects of your voice. 

It can still be brighter.  Remember, if it sounds too bright, it's just about right.  Our own voices sound a little strange inside our heads and when listening back.  We're just not used to it sounding that bright.  We normally hear our voices through all the bone in our heads.

Bob

As always...

thank you Bob.

I have just returned from a small break in mallorca,...so now it's back to the grindstone (in a good way of course)

Regards

ian