Home Vocal Health and Wellness
Options

Tiny "Cut" sensation in throat

AdrianDAdrianD Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 103
edited May 2013 in Vocal Health and Wellness
Hey guys,

I've been having some erratic sleep patterns due to work the past couple weeks, and my voice was not cooperating too well.  I found that it sounded very "worn and groggy" in certain areas, where I almost felt like I lost it in certain spots.  
At the last gig I played this weekend my voice was very weak and I ended up having the stress mount up back into the neck and throat (reverting to old habits).  That in combination with a few beers after led to my throat feeling very dry.  The next day I did the KTVA workout and my voice sounded better than before.  I sang for a few hours after, but I guess I didn't drink enough water because my throat was still super dry... then I felt the sensation of a "tiny cut" in the left side of my throat.

I was wondering a couple things:

1.  Has anyone experienced a sensation of having a "tiny cut" in their throat, and whether they continued doing the KTVA exercises or took some vocal rest afterwards?

2. If this may have been caused by   

a) dry dehydrated throat      OR
b) incorrect glottal compression 

I had another post about correct and incorrect glottal compression, and that the sensation has a very light, easy squeeze on the throat while holding your breath and cutting back the air.  I wonder if I am doing this correctly.

Thanks for your time,

Adrian

Comments

• Options
    sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    @adrian,

I'm guessing lack if sleep and dehydration would be the main causes to your problem. The voice will fatigue sooner from lack if sleep. The tiny cut feeling may have been a blast of air that dried the cords right out. Just like clearing your throat or shouting. Did you experience any hoarseness? The cords were probably swollen as well from the dehydration which can interfere with cord closure. Take a short break do your workout lightly(not airy). And see where you are at. I find most vocal problems are a result of what we do offstage rather than onstage:)
  • Options
    AdrianDAdrianD Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 103
    @sspatrick

I did experience some hoarseness / groggy type of voice afterwards.  I've taken 2 days off so I'll prob take tomorrow off too and then start doing the exercises lightly. 

Thanks Scott!
  • Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357

AdrianD

If you find that you are feeling pain, you should be seen by a physician.  Chances are that you're OK, but if you are injured, you should have an evaluation.

Bob