Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Pre-gig Warm-up routine?

Hi guys,

Out of all of the Volumes in Ken's course, which Audio Workout folder would you guys recommend best to used as a full and sufficient warm-up before a performing a full rock show (2 hour set performance usually, occasionally shorter gigs only one 45 minutes set) and also which workout should be used for before a studio recording session?

And just to add, there is usually a break in between sets on the 2 hour rock show gigs, which can sometimes be an hour or more between sets before going back on stage for the second set. In that circumstance would you recommend warming up again for the second set as would our voice have reset during the hour or so break and need re-stretching so to speak?

Hope you guys can help!

Thanks
Kyle

Comments

• Options
    Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited September 2020
    you would typically do a session with the volume below your current one. probably even better to do the one you are on for very challenging stuff, i would imagine (so that you warmed up all the "outside corners" of your voice), but i am not that advanced so i wouldn't know. i think if you sung live gigs every day for a hardrock act, you would prefer the volume below, i think otherwise that could get crazy quickly ;)

they say that 20-30 minutes of not singing after warming up, you'd need to start again, so i would believe the same goes for your breaks, so ideally, you would probably do another 30 minute warmup in your break.

how often are these shows? like several times a week, or more like once a month? i would imagine that will become a huge deciding factor how to handle the breaks, that would amount to a lot of singing every day if you sing through the breaks, and might be worse than get some rest, and do shorter warm-ups instead. which style are you doing? is it very challenging material, and distortion?
  • Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Remember the idea of a warm up is to get you ready for the show, if you are on volume 3 I'd say do volume 2 for your warm up unless you have been doing volume 3 for a long time and have the stamina do volume 3.
    What you don't want to do is a full blown workout and use all your energy in the warm up the same way you would in your day to day scales. Keep it gentle yet just enough to "wake up" and be ready.

For your break, the same applies, you'll know how much you need to stay limber vocally. A couple different vowels of chest and bridge every now and then should suffice. And drink heaps of water and pee before you take the stage again 😁
  • Options
    sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    Definitely per before you take the stage!!!!