Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Low larynx

My head voice range is from D4-D#5..pretty suck range..but my strong headvoice start at F4-D#5..below the F4 i need to lower my larynx to prevent breathiness..enough with the range topic..

My situation here is, as i tried to hit the highnotes in a head voice scales(going upward) i feel my larynx raised resulting to choking off my chords..

And i remember ken said in his youtube video that he encourage us to start with a low larynx to hold on our soundboard..so as the time passed by as our throat has that muscle memory we'd be able to do a scales without choking off our chords..

But in his youtube video ken only do that low larynx exercise in a chest voice..my question here is does we need to start our head voice exercise with low larynx as well as our chest voice?

Comments

• jaclynserjaclynser Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 262
    Yes. You never want to be singing with a raised larynx, no matter what register you are in. A raised larynx will result in that "kermit the frog" sound and also choking off the chords. He wants to train you with a lowered larynx position so that once you've built that into your muscle memory and can ascend and descend through your entire range keep your larynx lowered, then eventually once you are advanced enough you can relax a little bit more into a "neutral" larynx position.
  • mey_luqman98mey_luqman98 Member Posts: 92
    Alright..thanks for taking your time answering my question😀
  • PhMarnePhMarne 2.0 PRO Posts: 201
    I have exactly the same problem: larynx squeezing. It was diagnosed yesterday and I was given the very same advice, I'm supposed to lower my larynx by adopting a 'Droopy' voice, instead of a 'Kermit' one. Feels kinda softer in the throat, a a bit nasal, too, but you can tell the difference right away: you hit the note right into the center, without straining.
    I have to try it on my head voice scales, though, in order to acquire the reflex.
    Combined the relaxation response, it will be my main training issue for the months to come.
    @mey_luqman98mey_luqman98: Good luck to you with your larynx lowering!
    @jaclynser: Thanks for confirming that low larynx is a good strategy to avoid choking off the chords!
    :smiley: