Home The Singer's Lobby

How to find my voice?

Hi fellow singers, I’ve been struggling to find my own voice, my own sound. I feel like I’ve got influenced by many singers and when I sing my voice goes to “try” and sound like them. I’ve been trying to break through that habit or that situation. But I’m not quite sure how can I, or anyone, find their sound, their unique voice?

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited September 2020
    does it sound good when you copy them? if you can copy pro singers in a convincing way, that would be a good place to be (and enough for a lot of people), if you really sound that pro i am not sure if then you would have that problem of not sounding like yourself. for example, we all try really hard to copy Ken, and most of us don't sound like him... i hope you get my point.

probably best to write your own songs then, because they will invariably sound like you! :)

maybe post some audio so we know where you are at
  • mikapugamikapuga Member Posts: 10
    When I was younger I used to listen a lot to Evanescence. And now every time I sing everyone compares me to Amy. But I feel I'm struggling to find my own sound. I feel like my voice just goes back to create that dark, haunting sound she has. But, if you ask me if I sound exactly like her, I don't think so.
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I have a couple suggestions. Scales are a great way to work on technique and tone because they are so raw and you don't really have any reference besides what you can do to make the vowels sounds sound the best they can be with your instrument. You keep working towards finding that perfect placement and pure sound. That will translate into your singing.

Secondly, stop singing anything from artists you have already covered or are influenced by. Work on you voice and technique first then start singing songs by artists you are not so familiar with. Maybe after you start to hear your self shining through you can go back to evanesance and put your personal stamp on it.
    thank you I will definitely give it a try. I appreciate it :)
  • heidianitaheidianita 2.0 PRO Posts: 144
    Many good advices here :) just want to add what I do. I listen to the song I want to cover just until I have the melody and feel quite familier to the song. Then I start singing the karaoke-version, before I know the song a 100 %. I try to never sing above the original vocalist. That way I make my own twists and turns, and try to sing it the way it feels best and natural for ME.
    thank you so much for the advices I will keep them in mind as I'm practicing my vocals and covering songs. Highly appreciated :)
  • shiningshining 2.0 PRO Posts: 420
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1SljrNUZcM

Maybe this video also helps you :)

I think its very true what he is saying.. there are a lot of singers we get influenced by.

Oh thank you so much! I’ll watch it right now 😊