Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Hi from England!

Hey everyone
I'm Phil from the South West England. I've just enrolled in the course and am now getting started on improving my voice. I've been working full time as a musician for around 10 years singing and playing lots of guitar in rock bands, acoustic bands and as a soloist and have noticed recently my bad habits are stopping me from where I want to be. So here I am.
What is the best thing to do to get going? Do I post a clip of me singing. It's all a bit confusing as to what to do first. Do I watch the video's then play the audio CD? Every day? What's the best way for me to know I'm not continuing with bad habits.
Thanks everyone, it's great to be aboard!

Comments

• david1552david1552 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 74
    @philsmyth

Hi Phil,

Welcome to KTVA, your voice will grow like crazy if you follow Kens instructions exactly as he shows. 

I recommend that you start out by watching the videos on volume 1 to get a grip of what's expected and then start out with the audio exercises on volume 1. Do them 5-6 days a week for a minimum of 4 weeks and I also would suggest that you record yourself doing the exercises so that you can evaluate yourself and compare your sound with Kens. Also remember to get back to the videos to make sure you're doing the exercises correctly. Ken says "Don't watch the videos once and think that you've got it" Don't rush just to get results, instead make sure that you're doing as instructed and your voice will grow like crazy!!!

//David

• philsmythphilsmyth Pro Posts: 3
    Hi David
    Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. I shall heed your advice and do that, take my time and work through the exercises properly. 
    Thanks again :-)
  • david1552david1552 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 74
    @philsmyth

I've been doing Volume 1 for almost 4 months and Volume 2 for 1 1/2 month and have been correcting many things I didn't do correctly as I wasn't paying attention to Ken's instructions...

Also this forum is a great source for information. Bob, Scott (and others) are doing an amazing job here answering all sorts of questions related to KTVA program. I love what KTVA is doing to my voice and I love this forum!!

//David
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited May 2013

Welcome, @philsmyth ,

You will find that this course will remake your voice to the MAX.

David's answer about how to get started is correct.

Do listen to the instructions Ken gives you on the video very carefully, and try to make your voice sound just like his.  Re-watch the videos from time-to-time, because there is so much information packed into them that you will always catch something you overlooked before.  Even the seemingly very simple things Ken shows you are extremely important.  Don't gloss past anything.  Take your time and do it right.

After you think you've started getting the concepts down, or if you get stuck on something for a few days, that would be when you should record a demo and post it.  Show us what it is that you are having trouble with, or better yet, what you're doing well with!

Meanwhile, like David says, record yourself and listen to the playback.  That is the most efficient way to progress.  Constantly evaluate yourself.  Even a cassette recorder will suffice, and you should just get in the habit of ALWAYS recording yourself.  That way, it won't be a big deal when the red light comes on.  Also, you may catch something on tape by accident that will really help you. 

You should plan on spending several months on each KTVA Volume: 1, 2, 3, and Building Head Voice.  Don't short-change yourself.  Get all that you can from each volume.  Doing the Audio Workouts after carefully watching the instructional videos is where the rubber meets the road.  Do those workouts diligently for as long as it takes to really wring the most benefit from each volume.  Minimum one hour per day, 5 to 6 days per week, for several months each.  You will be amazed with the strength you will develop over time.  You are at the beginning of a long journey that will last the rest of your singing life!

We're glad you're here.  You have a ton of information with your Pro Package.  Take your time, and do it right.  Your voice will grow in ways that will be very beneficial to your full-time musician career!

Bob

• philsmythphilsmyth Pro Posts: 3
    highmtn Thank you Bob. I've decided to watch one section of the DVD followed by one section of the audio cd to make sure i'm following the advice correctly. The AH vowel modifications are coming together, understanding the others is taking time. I shall spend a month or so on it and post a recording. Great advice, cheers!
    Phil