Home Vocal Health and Wellness

strange feeling of a lump in my throat

Hey guys, so long story short, i stopped singing during covid as i has no place to practice. When i started singing again my voice started to grow very fast, much faster than before. product of better tehcnique.

Its been about 2.5 months now since i started singing again and i find myself using more and more distortion, its all been fine so far, no hoarseness, just some tiredness, but last week something very strange happened, as i was singing i started to feel this strange lump in my throat, the more i distorted my voice, the more the lump would rise up my throat.

it was scary as hell, but there was no pain through all of this.

Now, i know what you're thinking and heres the strange part. My voice was and still is completely intact. Im not joking, i can sing to my hearts content, i have all my range, falsetto, tone, everything. But if i decide to use distortion, that lump just travels up my throat again.

Now if i had gotten hoarse, then i think i would have known the reason of this, but seeing as this is not affecting my voice in the least, i am completely clueless to what this might be. Its been almost a week and this thing is still here, i feel it when i swallow and sometimes it acts up if i dont drink lots of water.

The only thing i can think of right now is some possible soreness on the false chords, but does that even happen? I never heard anything about false chords getting swollen, though that might explain why it wouldnt affect my voice.

I know you guys cant see down my throat, but hopefully someone has had or knows about a simillar event.

Thanks.

Comments

• sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    You should set up an appointment with your ent
  • ItsMeJohnnyItsMeJohnny Member Posts: 20
    Yeah...I think i have to... will give it a few more days to see if there is any considerable improvement...

Any doctor here has any idea what this might be? I really hope its not something serious like a vein popping or something along those lines. I know that stuff happens to singers, even good ones sometimes :#
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    edited September 2020
    Been reading up on some simillar issues, i think i messed up those arythenoid muscles, that would make sense has the feeling is more prevalent on my right side. ( i know im not a doctor, but still, seems like what i got)

I took some anti-inflammatory meds and i finally got some actual considerable improvement, ima see what the deal will be in 2 to 3 days and then will make an appointment.

I also have this weird pulling sensation from my throat, like this muscle is somehow pulling my throat up, very weird stuff...

If you docs have any idea what this is, I would really like to know, i just wanna have some sort of idea of what this is as i keep thinking the worst possible scenarios...

Thank you for your help.
  • ElaraElara Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 327
    Hi @ItsMeJohnny,

The best thing you can do is make an in-person appointment with a doctor who can examine you properly. Try not to worry, as this can add to any tension that might be creeping into your muscles. From what you've said, the issue only started when you introduced distortion into your practice routine. Perhaps, until you have the answers from your doctor, you could leave distortion out of your practice.

I don't know if you are planning to buy Ken's course, but I hope you will consider it. He teaches us how to distort safely.

Make the appointment soon, so the doctor can tell you what is going on right now. If it goes away and you decide not to go to the doctor, you won't know what caused it, and might end up with it happening again. Try to imagine the best possible scenarios, not the worst. You're not in pain, and a simple anti-inflammatory medicine helped... those are reasons to be hopeful. :)
    edited September 2020
    Thank you for the words, i have set up an appointment for this.

Ive actually been slowly getting better, but still a bit afraid of surgery. I hope this can be fixed in other ways.

there was a time when i thought about buying the course but then everything was going well, my voice was growing and things were just improving, i was satisfied with my voice.

But now after this i think i will buy the course next month, i mean i owe it to Ken seeing as his videos helped me alot in the beginning.

Sometimes i feel like god doesn't want me to sing. He blessed me with strong alergic reactions, post nasal drip and a tendency to catch the flu. And now that ive recently lost my band i really wonder sometimes if i should even keep going. Its so much hard work keeping this level for what it seems to be nothing more than a hobby at this point.

But anyways, i guess no matter how much i doubt myself, i always find myself saying fuck you god ima keep going. So yeah i guess i will check this course out.

Hopefully I may even find better ways with ken's course to do this without hurting my throat or some other weird muscle injuries. Thank you guys, and have a good one.
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    The course structure is great, I haven't checked out Ken's other course on vocal repair but it's something to consider. Hobby or band, if you're happy singing, then be happy 🙂
  • dThomasdThomas Member Posts: 29
    Any updates on your throat and the lump feeling? @ItsMeJohnny