Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

"You Got Me Hummin'" an old R&B Classic

This is a fun song originally done by Sam & Dave, so I did both of their vocal parts.
The arrangement keeps the signature bass riff but moves it from piano to bass guitar.
When I sing "soul music", I feel I can unload with open throat more than with pop tunes. What do you think?

BTW: I couldn't help but do the "tongue exercise" on the "humming" parts!

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    I thought this sounded pretty good! Your vocals match this style of music quite well! No complaints here at all!
  • JanEarlJanEarl 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 54
    Thanks very much, Klaus_T and Chris82. Before getting into Ken's program, I'd sing like I was sneaking up on a piece of pie...very timid and wasting too much air. I have a long way to go, but it's fun getting there.
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I'd love to see a video of this where you hum with the tongue exercises 🤣 keep rocking mate!
    Hey Wigs,
    I don't know if the world is ready for a video of me doing the tongue exercise to the humming part of the song! I'm sure it would get a lot of views for the wrong reason!
    Wigs,
    I recently did a cover of Bruce Springsteen's "Cover Me". My wife, my go-to critic, told me it just didn't sound like me because I was "forcing it and over-singing".
    She loved "You Got Me Hummin'",
    but said I lost that sound when I tried for the gravely Bruce sound.
    Should I forego the gravel until it's covered in Volume Three?
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Hi mate if you put an @ Infront of someone's user name then that usually gives them a notification they have been mentioned.

As for the grit or distortion sound, towards the end of volume 2 I started to dabble with it because I felt I could hold my breath back fairly well. Volume 3 and it's exercises REALLY turns that up a notch. If you want to experiment safely, add just a little touch here and there instead of completely going all out like he does. Distortion can sound forced to someone unaware of the proper technique, the oxymoron of it is that you are actually relaxing into the sound while still maintaining heaps of strength and control. It's also quieter volume wise than the same pure tone you would sing.
    @Wigs
    Thanks for the tip on the "@" and the advice on distortion.

Since the last chat, I've been "losing my religion" (as they say down South) towards singing and playing anything. Haven't even stepped into my home studio for nearly two weeks. Instead, I've been working on unfinished wood working projects to free my mind and take a break from music, deservedly or not.

Sometimes a slight criticism/or advice from someone close to me can pierce my supposedly thick skin and throw me off track. Has that ever happened to you or any other student? The criticism was meant to be helpful, but it made me question why I try to improve my voice.
  • shiningshining 2.0 PRO Posts: 420
    edited September 2020
    Oh wow this is pretty awesome! You are such a great talent ... I hope you will find your way back soon.

JanEarl said:

When I sing "soul music", I feel I can unload with open throat more than with pop tunes. What do you think?

My first thought was: YES!
    But there are also a lot of pop songs... at least for women :)

@shining
    Thanks for the compliment. After spending three weeks of intense woodworking and garage cleaning and reorganization, I think I have my head and attitude back in place to get serious about vocal practice. I made the mistake of falling into the trap of doing songs instead of practicing without doing songs. I have to stick with the disciplined approach with is tough for my ADD/Shoot from the Hip lifestyle.
  • GidpickerGidpicker 2.0 PRO Posts: 22
    Great Vocals

I hope that I will be able to sing
    like you someday.

How long have you been taking Ken's course?
  • KarelKarel Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 37
    JanEarl said:

This is a fun song originally done by Sam & Dave, so I did both of their vocal parts.
    The arrangement keeps the signature bass riff but moves it from piano to bass guitar.

BTW: I couldn't help but do the "tongue exercise" on the "humming" parts!

Wow man! You sound great!
  • aarsenault12aarsenault12 Pro Posts: 27
    your voice really fits the song!