Home Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy REVIEWS
Options

I'm shocked. (3 and half year review)

ccccccc830ccccccc830 Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 7
I've been doing KTVA for 3 years+ now and just in the past 2 months I've hit a c5 in chest voice and a a5 in head voice.

(Update 10/12/2020: In just a few days after writing this review I hit a c5# in chest. Continually blown away by this course every day.)

In the very beginning when I started this I was singing on and off for a few years tired a few horrible online vocal coaches (Per Bristow) and the like. And whenever I sung I actually felt pain in my throat and in the vocal cords and I couldn't sing for longer then 10 minutes really without going hoarse.

My highest note was a f4 and that was strained and forced a lot of the time (really shouted) my head voice was non existence just breathy and whenever I did it I couldn't do it for very long and not with any power in the sound.

Adding on to that ^ I always thought I was a high baritone and I could never go beyond G4. For 2 years I never broke that barrier in the course and I thought maybe I'm not suited out to sing higher stuff. I thought this is it for me and I could never sing as high as the super high tenors sing.

If you have any doubt this course works it does.

You just have to put in the work and I mean a lot of work. When the phrase blood sweat and tears was invented I feel like it was made for this course.

It took me really 2 and half years to figure out I was over singing and after that it was like a light switch and suddenly my voice started to grow. And I never understood support it was only till recently I got it and now I'm able to hit higher notes with ease.

I should say that singing is not about the high notes or anything like that. It's about artistry and expression but with Kens course you can do so many different styles you could have only dreamed of that you could do it's crazy to me how many songs you can sing. And the many tones you can use.

The main thing is you don't have to worry about am I gonna be able to hit that note tonight!? ^

The best advice I can give you is take your time, and you will probably make mistakes but don't be afraid to experiment and say to yourself is this really the way Ken wanted us to sing?

And also DON'T RUSH!! I spent 4 months on VOL 1 and 6 months on VOL 2! When I finally got to VOL 3 I could barely make it through the hour workout this is intense stuff!

You'll have many golden moments and AHA moments throughout!

ps. when considering online vocal coaches, don't go with Per. (; did his course for 2 and half years.

Happy singing!

Colin,

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    Hi, Colin!

Your story is like so many others here. So much like mine. I'm embarrased to admit that I got suckered in by Per's course, Brett's Course, Catherine's course, Seth's course, and so many others. Not only did I spend thousands of dollars trying to avoid spending hundreds at a time, but I lost YEARS on courses that would not work, no matter how long and how hard I tried to MAKE them work. They were just bogus programs that used gimmicks to replace real technique.

When I finally broke down and bought Ken's course, EVERYTHING started to change. Not quickly, but steadily. The other courses, although I gave them the benefit of the doubt, just took me to dead ends and feeling cheated.

It took me a long time to get past G4, too. But now I look back on that, and see how easy it is to do C5's in chest, and higher. You just have to put in the time and the work, and you eventually get there.

I was beginning to lose faith that singing was something that could be taught and learned. Then I found Ken's program, by chance and the stubborn belief that maybe, just maybe, there was hope for me, and for my awful voice.

I now know that once you learn the methods to unlock the potential of the voice through real vocal techniques and lots of practice that you can open up and let your heart and emotions come through like a fountain of love. I'm a shy person by nature, but through my voice I can open up and reach rooms full of people and take them where they want to go. Without the knowledge and skill to be able to get past those scary vocal obstacles, I wouldn't have a chance. WITH those skills and the growth my voice has undergone, I can soar with the Eagles, the Beatles, or any vocal style I want to choose.

Bob
  • Options
    DogMeatDogMeat 2.0 PRO Posts: 437
    Thanks for your story. Love reading about these, and i can already share some of your feelings on my 1,5year trip on KTVA. I don't stress about progress too much. I just keep the habit of training, and results will follow. It's been my recipe for learning anything in life.
  • Options
    jaclynserjaclynser Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 262
    Hi Colin! I'm so happy to hear about your progress!! I have also had so many "aha!" moments in my KTVA journey!
  • Options
    Raphael_HusslRaphael_Hussl 2.0 PRO Posts: 159
    @ccccccc830
    Hi Colin,

It's great and very motivating to read your feedback and also would be cool to hear a song from you. And it is kind of soothing to hear that some big progresses in your development just came recently after you already had been in the course for a couple of years. I now have been in the course for one year and three months with an average of about 2 hours practice a day but in the last few months there were a lot of moments where I felt a little stuck and as if I had reached some kind of dead end with my voice which made me question a lot of times if I was doing everything correctly or if there was something important I was missing. Now I have new motivation again to continue practicing.

Raphael
  • Options
    LaVaqueraLaVaquera 2.0 PRO Posts: 5
    Colin this is in response to your post.

OK, then thank you for sharing because just 5 minutes ago I paid for the pro level course (is that the mid level one?) and it's a lot of money for me. I am nervous about doing the right thing with my hard earned dollars. I have a kick-ass voice naturally but it's going to waste, so those of you who claim to have terrible voices are far ahead of me. It's like a tree falling in a forest.....does it make a sound if no one hears it? Bob Dylan had a terrible voice and yet he sounds amazing, so a good voice isn't anything if it's not used, therefore I am not bragging. This is my first post, so maybe ya'll can steer me in the right direction with this course. Remember, I am a nervous Nelly at investing this money. BTW, I am in Alabama, not far from Mississippi border. I have been exposed to a rich musical history, but it has to be extracted.
  • Options
    maximgottmermaximgottmer 2.0 PRO Posts: 313
    Great to hear this! Good Luck. Maxim.
  • Options
    ccccccc830ccccccc830 Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 7
    @LaVaquera

When I first bought the course I felt the same way!

For me I was so burned out by Per's techniques and exercises that did not work! His course costed me thousands of dollars. He had a subscription service that required you to pay or you would lose your vocal exercises for the month his "Daily Workouts" were at the end of a 12 month period. In which you had to pay and you still do. He hasn't changed anything.

Ken's course is cheap compared to that ^ and to even say bang for your buck.

So trust me I understand the fear.

Bob went through the same thing I went through.

I thought when I bought this course it would be like Per again ripped off and burned for my money but the growth I experienced DAY 1 was better then 12 months of other vocal coaches techniques.

Stick with it! You will see amazing growth!

Colin,
  • Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Thanks for sharing mate! I always like to hear from others that have been on the course longer than me, keep rockin!
  • Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    You will learn with time that when you start to think that you are stuck in a vocal rut, or on an endless plateau, that you will soon have a series of new BREAKTHROUGHS that wash your fears away with new horizons. That's the way this program works. You work and work and then worry that you're stuck, only to realize that you are still growing and growing your voice!

It's weird how that self-doubt has to come in and make you think that you're not going to improve any more, and then BOOM! New capabilities suddenly show up out of nowhere.... not really out of nowhere. They come from all of the work you are investing in your voice. But they just keep on happening, month after month, year after year.

You'll see!

:)

Bob