Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

How obvious should the Segundo Passaggio be when singing?

To whom it may concern,
I am trying to work on mixed voice with slider exercises, reducing volume, and healthy compression. To practice with a song, I sing the chorus of Hallelujah in the key of C major. The problem I am encountering is that I cannot seemlessly transition into mix at the E4-F4 without the transition being noticeable. Is this normal? Should the segundo passaggio be prevelent all the time? It feels like i'm turning the volume knob down a lot when I shift into mix. Does this mean I just need to practice and develop the mixed voice more? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Answers

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Welcome to the forum mate. Firstly before working on the mix voice, you want to work on the transition where you hear the yodel. Practice getting the connection of your chest to head voice and back seamless. That is the start, from there you will be able to lean into the sound more and more and grow your mix. As a side note, KTVA is structured so that mix voice is actually the last thing we learn to do. Build a strong chest foundation first.
  • dThomasdThomas Member Posts: 29
    I see. Do you have any links to videos about strengthening chest voice?
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Ken has many YouTube videos on his channel that you can checkt out.