Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Brightness in the voice and the lack there of

So I hope this is something that changes over time but when I do the scales I think I have pretty good brightness to my voice but when it come to actually singing songs with my band it’s not so much. Any thoughts? I’m guessing I need more mask but I’m struggling to find it live

Comments

• Options
    jaclynserjaclynser Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 262
    Hey @sjonrokz4u ,

How loud is the band when you are rehearsing? That's the very first thing that came to mind when reading your question. I've definitely had to have conversations with bands I've been in, as a guitar player I totally get it and love to be loud, but if the singer is getting drowned out, they will start to push and lose their voice.

If you are feeling like you might not be singing bright enough, try over doing it and make it almost cartoony. Make it that super bright forward "little boy voice" that Ken talks about. Even though it's obviously not the tone you are going for, it will help you make sure you are getting proper cord closure. Then just slowly bring it back from there.

Are you using in ear monitors or off the floor monitors? I personally prefer off the floor monitors because I have found in ears actually prohibit me from really hearing my own resonance in my body.

Hope this helps!! Happy singing!
    Jackie
  • Options
    sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    Yeah the volumes actually pretty controlled. At practice just using speakers on sticks one it sounds ok but I listen back tona recording I make on my phone and I just don’t sound very bright
  • Options
    sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    @jaclynser so it appears I’m just dumb lol. I played my recording back from Thursday in my truck and I have a much brighter time then when I play it back on my Alexa. I feel much better about myself but thank you for your insight as always!!
  • Options
    jaclynserjaclynser Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 262
    Haha glad to hear!