Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

Playing keyboard and singing at the same time! Open Arms

OMG this is so hard! I have been taking vocal lessons with Sara Loera (KTVA star) because she has recently started giving them per graduating from performance school and also her extensive work with Ken Tamplin. I still follow the KTVA course of course but it really helps to get the feedback in real time. And she is a great instructor! It is so hard to sing and play and have emotion but I signed up for a "Quarentalent" show at work to showcase what I have been doing since COVID19. I know it is not perfect. I tried recording the video so many times and I chose this one because my voice is best even though my playing is not. What do you think? https://photos.app.goo.gl/NKRm4jxhfNA1RXCg9. Also I painted the painting in the background...

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Ive just started learning piano, I cant wait to be able to do what you do! How long do you have before performance? I would play the piano and sing separately as much as you can to commit both parts to muscle memory as well and play and sing the whole thing on top of that as often as you can.
  • jmstanlejmstanle 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 141
    Hi @Wigs - I actually memorized the piano part first and at other times did Karaoke of it too. Finally I put it together and that was like learning it all over again. My brain seemed to forget everything. It felt like I had Alzheimer's! It is really hard for me to do both at the same time. The performance is today but because on the dress rehearsal my video kept stopping (Webex sucks) we decided that I could submit a video. So I submitted the one you saw. I know it has mistakes but that is OK because it is the one where my voice is the best. I can't sing that song over and over and over because my voice really degrades. I did so many takes and I would either really screw up the voice or else the piano. Oh well. I can only get better :-)
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    That’s it. You just keep getting better over time!!!
  • jmstanlejmstanle 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 141
    @sjonrokz4u well it gives me something to do that I enjoy! And I learned how to transpose on one of my keyboards because it is only 66 keys and I had to move to the right by an octave to fit the song which meant I then had to transpose the keys by -12.
  • DogMeatDogMeat 2.0 PRO Posts: 437
    Great job. This is also something i've been trying to learn. I feel like i lose 30% of singing skills the second i start playing the piano. I bet both needs to be really natural to nail both at same time.