Homeβ€Ί GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

I do my work out in the park, people passing by think I'm nuts..

I would like to share my story with you. I've had a passion for singing as long as I can remember myself. I tried different techniques but nothing worked for me. A couple of months ago I decided to give it a shot once again and using free Ken Tamplin's tutorials, try to learn, but this time being more consistent and serious about it than ever.

But the thing is that I really didn't have any place to do my daily workout. Only in case my girlfriend was out.
She's not aware of my passion. Even if she knew, it would be impossible to practice singing at home, since we're both working from home, and our jobs are based on constant communication with people (we both teach English).

So being completely frustrated, I decided to do my scales out in the park very early in the morning when they're very few people walking around. Every day for 3 month I got up at 6 AM, went to the park to practice singing. Some days were really successful, other days were a complete disaster: it either rained, or there were too many people around, as the result, my voice didn't sound properly and I felt down. I just couldn't use my voice to the fullest. A couple of times people would come to me and ask if I was alright, they thought I was completely nuts.

If you're an athlete practicing running, or a dancer doing stretching, people admire you. If you're doing scales in public, people are sure that you're a nut case. Some people offered callling ambulance)))).

But anyway, I did this every day. Whenever my morning workout was a failure I would come back at lunch and then in the evening, most of the time being deeply upset.

Btw, I always tell my girlfriend that I do either jogging or a warm up training in the morning.

But step by step my voice was growing and my tone became pretty good (of course if my workout was successful, it's like 40% of the time).

In August My girlfriend and me went to Egypt. I would get up at 5 30 AM, go to the beach "to swim". I would swim far away from the shore to do my workout. And it worked very day. There were no people except me in the water.

A week ago we moved to a different city.
It takes me about 45 minutes to get to the nearest canal with some trees around it. But it's extremely crowded, I can't find a place I couple theoretically do my scales.
My girlfriend is almost always at home.
And I have a lot of work too.

I'm deeply frustrated, but at the same time determined to go on. I just can't give up. This is what I really want to do. And this thought keeps me going.

I'd really appreciate if anyone can recommend some simple ways to soundproof my room.
Or anything that could help me practice my singing without disturbing other people.

Thanks in advance)

Comments

• mey_luqman98mey_luqman98 Member Posts: 92
    Your story are understandable to me..those who are learning to sing are struggling the way you are..everybody is facing this issues..including me..

Regarding the soundproof room, im not sure if such a thing is exist..but there's way out of this..

If you own a car maybe that would be your secret weapon to practice your singing..
    And if you dont own one, why dont you buy a "Belting Box"..i heard the box were created and designed spesifically to those who are struggling to practice without annoying people around you..
    or maybe you should try the method "sing into a pillow" that approved by ken..πŸ˜€
  • Aleksooo7Aleksooo7 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 133
    Unfortunately, I don't own a car((
    I've tried singing into a pillow)))))) it doesn't work for me))))

But belting box sounds interesting. I'm gonna google it)))) thanks)
    The reviews are controversial. It seems the belting box is not better than a pillow)))

But a car would be a great solution for me)))maybe in the future)
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    wow, the determination. i am sure you will find a way. did you do the scales swimming or did i not get it?

how about you tell her that you sing and do it at home?
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    I agree with klaus. Tell her and do it in the evening after work hours
  • mey_luqman98mey_luqman98 Member Posts: 92
    @Aleksooo7 we will never know unless we try..but again thats your choice..πŸ˜‰

And yeah car is the most prefered option..to be honest i myself currently is saving up too..i am planning to buy myself a cheap second-hand car..

And i agree with mr @Klaus_T ..if you are living only with her then i think its ok to tell her..πŸ˜€
    Yeah, I'm planning on telling her, but it's really impossible to practice singing at home. We don't have a fixed schedule and most of the time we work until 10 PM. We're freelancers. After 10 PM it's disturbing for neighbors.

I remember once I got evicted from one apartment for doing that))))

Speaking of swimming, I did the scales just being in the water)) above the water, not under)))
    What makes things even worse is that my job also depends on the quality of my voice)) when the workout is successful the lessons are amazing, when it's not - they are so so))))