Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Deep Voice=Low Volume?

I have a deep and raspy speaking voice and I'm thinking it must be a bass singing voice. The lowest note I can sing (without having worked to expand my range) is the second lowest C# on a piano.

My issue is the volume. It has always bothered me that I can't seem to get it louder. Is this just a feature of having a deeper voice or is it probably a technique issue?

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Usually as you go into your lower range you will be quieter on the note. If you chase the bright ping in your scales, you will turn that to growing resonance and that in turn will see your lower register begin to open up and get louder. I find getting louder in my low register is not about trying to push the sound, instead its a very delicate balance of air management and placement and keeping things in balance.
  • alienalien 2.0 PRO Posts: 6
    Thanks a lot Wigs. I will keep working at it.

Also, What do you mean by "placement" ?
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Placement of the vowel in the throat.
  • PlavalagunaPlavalaguna Member Posts: 4
    Singable range and range are two different things. You will find yourself losing volume as you attempt to sing either too low or too high for your current range. If singing very low at a high volume is your goal range expansion is necessary and you will need zen like relaxation to gain volume outside of your current range down low. The more relaxed, the more powerful your sound. Experiment with going in and out of vocal fry. It is physically impossible to have good control over vocal fry without being relaxed.