Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

Little Miss Perfect Demo

Hey. I've been learning to sing by recording myself and listening to it for like 2 years. I felt like I had no progress until I learned on this forum about larynx position. Then I started singing in low position - it sounded in my opinion like opera singers. Recently I have been experimenting and trying to find a good tone using different larynx positions, amounts of mask and by transposing the songs.

I think I sound pretty good. I've recorded a demo of me singing Little Miss Perfect sung by Taylor Louderman. I transposed the song 4 semitones down and sung it an octave lower. SInging the A2 was not a problem because I usually reach D#2 easly. I'm not very proud of the D#4. I think it's just a matter of practice but I'm not sure. I don't think It was strained.

I would really appreciate any advice. I want to amaze others with my voice but for now I only get complains from my mom that I scream to loud.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UcoIGnOFtntxxv4ynxaRaSTiEfJsFgaS/view?usp=sharing

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    edited November 2020
    You have a bit of resonance in your lower mids which is a good start. What kind of larengial position did you feel you used for this? It's possible to have it lowered but still have a bright uncovered tone. It doesn't mean you need to sound like an opera singer. They tend to cover their vowels, so if they were to sing lah, it sounds more like Loh. Your voice isn't "bad", it's just untrained.

If you really want to improve, you have to focus on technique. Singing songs is fun, but honing skills to sing will make you better. Focus on using support, and reducing the amount of air you use. If you do this then the D4 won't be so strained, it wasnt a full clean tone.

I also deleted your other post since it was the same and the link didn't work.

Have a look at @Klaus_T page, he has a number of Ken's YouTube videos that you can use to start a daily training session. This won't make you great in 6 months, your voice is an instrument and you need to learn and practice it just like a guitar, drums or piano. Imagine how long that takes, and you have an idea of what singing great will take. I'm not trying to discourage you at all, I'm just being real and if you really want it, be prepared for hard work. When it pays off, it feels amazing 🙂
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    if you don't want to waste time, you will need to get lessons from a good teacher. otherwise you will have to re-invent the wheel yourself, and go down dead ends that others have already mapped out. if you can afford it, get the course, or do the free exercises. you have a good starting point. between discovering Ken and starting the course I waited two years, I was really not into the idea of daily scales, but there is no shortcut. Now I wish I would have just started it when I first found him. I am almost 2 years on the course now, and there is progress all the time. It could have been 4 years already. don't make the same mistake!
  • EmanueleEmanuele 2.0 PRO Posts: 100
    edited November 2020
    Hi!

To be honest I agree with @Wigs and @Klaus_T (by the way please listen to how they sing, I think they are awesome!).

I also think that your voice tone and resonance is really nice and that you could improve a lot with the correct technique and practice.

I am 7 months in the KTVA program (plus a local teacher) and I am super happy with my progress so far (I am still a super beginner but at least something is moving!).

Wish you all the best and…happy singing! :-)

Emanuele