Home SINGER/SONGWRITERS

Does Anyone write their own songs?

Hi everyone

I'm new in here and just wanted to know if anyone else writes their own songs etc ?

Thanks

Human Robot

Comments

• HumanRobotHumanRobot Member Posts: 246
    edited November 2020
    Hi

I do wonder what is the best song that has ever been written ?

Human Robot
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I'm starting to dabble in lyrics and have begun learning piano, but I'm probably a good 6 months away before I can put the 2 together.

Best song? I reckon it's personal opinion. One of my favourites is Scorpio rising by Death in Vegas, it features Liam Gallagher and the film clip inspires me.
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    That’s kind of an impossible question since everyone’s taste is different
  • EmanueleEmanuele 2.0 PRO Posts: 100
    edited November 2020
    Hey,

I do write my own songs (I sing and play the music with my ukulele).

They are not great songs now, but I hope to improve soon :-)
    Hi

Thank you for all your comments . I have written loads of songs but I dont know if they are any good .

Human Robot
    Wigs said:

I'm starting to dabble in lyrics and have begun learning piano, but I'm probably a good 6 months away before I can put the 2 together.

Best song? I reckon it's personal opinion. One of my favourites is Scorpio rising by Death in Vegas, it features Liam Gallagher and the film clip inspires me.

It's a strange process when you start writing your own songs. I use my mobile phone to record stuff on - for example if I suddenley hear a word or a phrase or a tune i just sing into the phone - so I have loads of memory joggers lol recorded on the phone. But once you get stated its fun.

Human Robot
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited November 2020
    i write stuff myself sometimes. the best song is the one i like the best at any given time, but it changes and is also just my taste. at the moment, i really like "tunnel of love" by dire straits. the imagery in the lyrics, layers of meaning, the music and guitar playing is great. is it the best song in the world? probably not. and in a few months or days, i will have a new favourite song.

care to post one of your songs?

here is my most recent one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbcxtC1F4XE&ab_channel=DUMMEKINDER
    Klaus_T said:

i write stuff myself sometimes. the best song is the one i like the best at any given time, but it changes and is also just my taste. at the moment, i really like "tunnel of love" by dire straits. the imagery in the lyrics, layers of meaning, the music and guitar playing is great. is it the best song in the world? probably not. and in a few months or days, i will have a new favourite song.

care to post one of your songs?

here is my most recent one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbcxtC1F4XE&ab_channel=DUMMEKINDER

Hi

I love the beat of the song - unfortuanately I only speak english so I'm afraid I don't understand the lyrics. (I wish I could understand what you are singing about).

I could post one of my songs if I dare (but thats a bit scary lol )

Human Robot
    thanks! i know it can be hard to share stuff, but this forum is a good place to start, because no one is gonna diss you or something! :)

here is a google translations fof the lyrics:

CURFEW

now they made it no one is allowed out
    in the brave new world everyone stays at home
    laws are changed, the constitution undermined
    while you're queuing for toilet paper in the supermarket

an invisible enemy, suddenly we're at war
    the whole world in lockdown from new york to berlin
    the media aligned to stir up the hysteria
    now all means are right to defeat the virus

//// CURFEW////

everything went according to plan hardly anyone contradicted
    what exactly happened here, many only understood afterwards
    the one world government came through the back door
    I woke up this morning in a dystopia

///// CURFEW////

ask yourself who benefits
    the crisis was staged
    your future will be gambled
    while you sit at home

//// CURFEW////
    Klaus_T said:

thanks! i know it can be hard to share stuff, but this forum is a good place to start, because no one is gonna diss you or something! :)

here is a google translations fof the lyrics:

CURFEW

now they made it no one is allowed out
    in the brave new world everyone stays at home
    laws are changed, the constitution undermined
    while you're queuing for toilet paper in the supermarket

an invisible enemy, suddenly we're at war
    the whole world in lockdown from new york to berlin
    the media aligned to stir up the hysteria
    now all means are right to defeat the virus

//// CURFEW////

everything went according to plan hardly anyone contradicted
    what exactly happened here, many only understood afterwards
    the one world government came through the back door
    I woke up this morning in a dystopia

///// CURFEW////

ask yourself who benefits
    the crisis was staged
    your future will be gambled
    while you sit at home

//// CURFEW////

Hi

wow those lyrics are brilliant - it's a shame you can't do a version with your english words. But I love your lyrics.

Human Robot
  • BagheeBaghee Member Posts: 6
    I've written a few song lyrics, but only with someone who can write the music.
    Alanis Morissette is a big influence on my technique, because she's not afraid to write songs that don't rhyme.
    I'm also influenced by artists like Donovan and Leonard Cohen.

I always say that Together in Electric Dreams (Often attributed to The Human League) by Moroder/Oakey is my favourite song, because I loved it so much as a kid. I still love the song, but I have different favourites for different reasons or occasions. Including; Iris-Goo Goo Dolls, Bridge/Out of Mind-Queensryche, Keep on Loving You-REO Speedwagon, Still Loving You-Scorpions, Friend Underlined/Zips for Lips-Cecil and Falling Away/My Faded Heart-Alex Adlington.
    (Sorry, I'll stop now, despite really wanting to go on!)
    Baghee said:

I've written a few song lyrics, but only with someone who can write the music.
    Alanis Morissette is a big influence on my technique, because she's not afraid to write songs that don't rhyme.
    I'm also influenced by artists like Donovan and Leonard Cohen.

I always say that Together in Electric Dreams (Often attributed to The Human League) by Moroder/Oakey is my favourite song, because I loved it so much as a kid. I still love the song, but I have different favourites for different reasons or occasions. Including; Iris-Goo Goo Dolls, Bridge/Out of Mind-Queensryche, Keep on Loving You-REO Speedwagon, Still Loving You-Scorpions, Friend Underlined/Zips for Lips-Cecil and Falling Away/My Faded Heart-Alex Adlington.
    (Sorry, I'll stop now, despite really wanting to go on!)

Hi

well its not as easy as it looks writing songs and i've found through trial and error that you could write ten songs and Only 1 or 2 are any good . But then I keep the other 8 and maybe 1 or 2 years later go back to them and think oh that works or that doesnt work. It's great fun though. But its funny how certain songs can take us back to an event or a memory . I guess that's the power of music.

Human Robot
  • RussRuss Member Posts: 4
    I write my own songs i tend to stay away from other singers songs however i do listen to others at times but inspiration can come from anything , sometimes a chord played on my guitar or piano will be the beginning of something new even the sounds of nature or a phrase even a sentance someone will say might be the beginning of something , open your ears to new things and you might be surprised as to what you ll find .
  • Mike86Mike86 Member Posts: 104
    Thanks for sharing your interesting thoughts and approaches. I write an own music with guitar then add lyrics. I learned guitar first so I usually start with a riff or a melody in my head, find the notes on the guitar then build a chord progression and lyrics afterwards. I didn't start singing until about 5-6 years after learning the guitar.

The best/favourite song is difficult to say as it changes over time, but there is an artist on bandlab named Rick Tyrrell who is extremely talented and a Toronto native such as myself. He is very inspiring.

Mike