Home Off Topic

Private places to practice singing

dThomasdThomas Member Posts: 29
I know this is may seem like a strange question, but I feel like many of us—aspiring singers—deal with this problem. I'm a junior in high school doing at-home school, living with a family of 4 under a roof. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on private places to practice singing at home. FYI, I don't have a car. It's really hard to practice singing when your family members are home, and you have to wait for them to either leave, take a shower, or put on headphones. Does anyone have any suggestions for private places to practice singing? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    They should be supportive of your quest
  • HumanRobotHumanRobot Member Posts: 246
    HI there

The bathroom is a great place -as you get better acoustics in the bathroom .

Human Robot
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    Would your family be opposed to you just sitting in the parked car outside your house and practicing singing there?
    Chris has a good idea there. Tell your parents to straighten up or you’re going to replace them lol
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    I still get mocked after about 4 years... I just flip them off or toss a couch pillow in their direction lol
    This is especially true with volume 4, as it will get you doing allot of "dying-cat" vocal tonalities.
    So, in answer to all of this, I created my secret weapon to counter the good-natured heckling..
    I assembled a cube from playmat interlocking foam tiles and tape sealed the interlocks.
    Then I installed acoustic insulation baffle squares inside of that (Can get them for cheap on "Wish")
    Then i cut out the front half of the bottom of the cube, so I can stand up and go inside of it.
    I then used 2 angle brackets with 36" 3/4"x3" extension forks to support it at the right height.

This newly dubbed "Cube of Silence" is in my furnace room, and isolated from the rest of the house. So the end result is a very private studio where you can run through your lessons via your smartphone without bothering anyone.
  • EmanueleEmanuele 2.0 PRO Posts: 100
    Hi,

I live on a different floor of the same house with my family, so basically I dont have this problem.
    I also do a lot of practice in my car (I know I should not…but still).

My answer would be to practice in your room, but with an R&B volume. I usually do this when I sing in the evening (that I am tired) and I noticed that I don't bother anyone, but still I improve (I think so).

Hope it helps! :-)
    Phil you’ve got thicker skin than I do. I may be a little too fragile lol
  • SkylarSkylar 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 89
    @dThomas Hi! I'm actually going through this exact thing. I'm a freshman in college and my classes are online. Due to this, I've been having to practice sometimes later than I want when my family is around. I normally practice in my closet when that happens, or just go in my room and just tell them I'm about to practice.

I'm slowly getting to the point of caring less what they may think because I want to get better, and I won't if I don't practice. So, just see if maybe finding a closet helps!
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Communicate with your family. Tell them about it and let them know it is a journey you are embarking on. You don't become a good singer in a day.

You can choose certain days of the week and certain times where you practice if that helps. Also using the room that isolates sound the most is an obvious choice.

It's all easier said than done of course. However, if you communicate and experiment with certain times and locations in the house, you might be surprised.

I hope it works out!