Home Vocal Health and Wellness
Options

Strange "lump in throat" sensation

dThomasdThomas Member Posts: 29
edited December 2020 in Vocal Health and Wellness
Hello. Last Tuesday I was practing building strength in upper chest voice. I am a tenor. I did not sing higher than an E4 the entire 15 minutes I practiced (including 5 min. warmup). Afterwards, I felt fine and normal.

However, during the middle of the next day, I started to feel a lump in my throat around my larynx. I feel it more when I swallow or talk for an extended period of time; after doing so, the sensation goes away if I do nothing regarding my voice. Sometimes when i do want to swallow, it feels as if something is stopping me from doing so, as if something is stopping the muscles from working just for a split second. My Adam's Apple is very prominent and the lump feels like it is originating around the tip of the larynx. If I were to hum and press my thumb under the fleshy part under my chin, the lumpy feeling goes away a little. My voice is not hoarse whatsoever, and I feel totally fine except for the lumpy feeling. I have my complete range and voice, just the lumpy sensation. My voice does get fatugued if I speak for too long though. I have not sang anything since and the sensation has diminished a little, but it is still there. I usually appears around mid-day after I have spoken a lot. When I wake up, the sensation isn't there.

I think I may have overworked/strained my TA muscle or other neck muscles because I feel the lumpy sensation more when I bring my vocal cords together or do vocal fry noises. If anyone has any thoughts on my current situation, any insight/help will be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I've had a similar feeling to this before, I didn't get it checked out or any thing and it lasted for about 4 to 6 weeks although towards the end it was barely noticeable.

When it happened I had over 2 weeks off from singing and exercises and when I started again I wasn't gentle. I tried to go full voice and full range on that first day. I think I slightly over stretched a muscle or tendon in my throat somewhere. It also didn't affect the quality of my tone or make me hoarse, and I noticed the sensation more if I tried to stretch my chest or go too high. For the first 4 weeks after that I only did singing that would avoid feeling like I would aggrevate it more.

Check with a medical professional if you are unsure.
  • Options
    dThomasdThomas Member Posts: 29
    Just an update:

after dinner today, I felt a little tension and tried to swallow, but had trouble initiating the swallowing sensation. I did some research and I think I strained the suprahyoid muscle under the chin. After rubbing and massaging it a little, I feel a little tension there even when I'm doing nothing.
  • Options
    sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    Never a bad idea to have a good ENT if you’re going to do this