Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

A bunch of doubts

Hello everyone, my name is Sharon and I am beginner in singing. I'm a 14 years old boy. I am practicing for about 3 months. I have some doubts about singing can someone answer me?
I want to sing rock, metal and pop (if it is possible to sing all of these). My doubts are,
1, Can I practice screaming and singing in raspy voice from the beginning or I need to develop clean voice before learning to scream and singing in raspy voice? (I am working on my clean voice and I started to practice fry screaming about 2 weeks ago 5 minutes daily.)
2, Can I practice to sing in both high notes and low notes? Can practicing low notes make difficult to sing high notes? (I am currently trying to sing high notes.)
3, Can I practice whistle register from the beginning? (I've never tried that. But I wish to learn that if it's possible.)
4, How much time I need to practice daily? (First about 2 months I only practiced about 10 - 15 minutes. Now I am practicing about 1 hour)
5, How much time I need to do breathing exercises? (I am doing that about 15 - 20 minutes)
6, What type of vocal exercises I need to do for a good singing voice? (I do 10 minutes of vocal warm up first, , then I do chest voice vocal exercises for 15 minutes. And I sing some songs from Linkin Park like crawling, numb, burn it down, etc. in clean voice)
7. Can you give me any suggestions for practicing?

Thank you

*Edited by moderation. Please dont include other vocal coaches in your discussion.

Comments

• esequiboesequibo Member Posts: 47
    1. you can do anything you want. i have a friend who never learned how to sing but he is a master of growls and all of those gutural techniques, i mean he's like a bass baritone so he sings 1 octave stuff with no problem but to me that's not really singing, at least purposefully.
    because you say rock, metal and pop i would obviously start by learning clean singing lol.
    2. u can. low notes range won't extend as much as high range. period. i mean u can gain 1 and half tone, like if ur lowest note is A2 then u could extend it to G2 or so. but not much more, but with high stuff u can go almost to infinity.
    3. u can.
    4. i think 45 minutes - 1 hour is fine
    5. breath a lot, mostly when u are not singing and after every verse, otherwise you'll fall.
    6. ken tamplin has a vocal course, you can find these answers there.
    7. sing songs u like singing, smth that inspires you and try to mimic your singing idols.
  • ratheesh331975ratheesh331975 Member Posts: 7
    esequibo said:

1. you can do anything you want. i have a friend who never learned how to sing but he is a master of growls and all of those gutural techniques, i mean he's like a bass baritone so he sings 1 octave stuff with no problem but to me that's not really singing, at least purposefully.
    because you say rock, metal and pop i would obviously start by learning clean singing lol.
    2. u can. low notes range won't extend as much as high range. period. i mean u can gain 1 and half tone, like if ur lowest note is A2 then u could extend it to G2 or so. but not much more, but with high stuff u can go almost to infinity.
    3. u can.
    4. i think 45 minutes - 1 hour is fine
    5. breath a lot, mostly when u are not singing and after every verse, otherwise you'll fall.
    6. ken tamplin has a vocal course, you can find these answers there.
    7. sing songs u like singing, smth that inspires you and try to mimic your singing idols.

Thank you very much :smiley:
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    edited December 2020
    You do not want to 'start out with a raspy voice'. Learning to sing clean with great technique is the foundation. You can later on start to sing more 'raspy' or 'distorted'. Ken also talks about this in his course. Some ways of distorting your voice can be harmful, so you would want to learn about that first. But at the end of the day, you are indeed allowed to do anything you want. Just be aware that some methods of distortions can be very harmful to your voice.

If you want to sing high, you should be practicing that. Same goes for low. At KTVA we cover our whole range. We mostly incorporate breathing into the actual exercises. Abdominal support is a key component of singing. How long you practice depends on what you practice. 2 hours of bad practice is bad practice. An hour of good practice is amazing practice. However, 45 to 90 minutes is a good range, depending on what you can spare etc.

Practice suggestions can be found on Ken's youtube channel (many free tutorials and webinars) and his vocal program. We generally advise buying the PRO pack with volumes 1 to 5 included.
    bentk said:

You do not want to 'start out with a raspy voice'. Learning to sing clean with great technique is the foundation. You can later on start to sing more 'raspy' or 'distorted'. Ken also talks about this in his course. Some ways of distorting your voice can be harmful, so you would want to learn about that first. But at the end of the day, you are indeed allowed to do anything you want. Just be aware that some methods of distortions can be very harmful to your voice.

If you want to sing high, you should be practicing that. Same goes for low. At KTVA we cover our whole range. We mostly incorporate breathing into the actual exercises. Abdominal support is a key component of singing. How long you practice depends on what you practice. 2 hours of bad practice is bad practice. An hour of good practice is amazing practice. However, 45 to 90 minutes is a good range, depending on what you can spare etc.

Practice suggestions can be found on Ken's youtube channel (many free tutorials and webinars) and his vocal program. We generally advise buying the PRO pack with volumes 1 to 5 included.

Thank you :smiley:
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    3 - Be careful with the whistle register. KTVA doesn't teach it, its mainly a parlour trick and has very limited use in everyday singing. Instead concentrate on growing your chest voice with good vocal health.

6 - Have a look at @Klaus_T page, he has a list of Kens videos on YouTube you can use as a program to get you started.
    Wigs said:

3 - Be careful with the whistle register. KTVA doesn't teach it, its mainly a parlour trick and has very limited use in everyday singing. Instead concentrate on growing your chest voice with good vocal health.

6 - Have a look at @Klaus_T page, he has a list of Kens videos on YouTube you can use as a program to get you started.