Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!
Options

Like A Stone Cover

Hi everyone, Just watched Ken's new vid of "Like A Stone" and thought I'd give it a try. Would love to hear some feedback as to how I can improve. I didn't quite hit the ending the best I think I could do, but in the interest of transparency and doing a full take top to bottom, I kept it as is. I tried to "lean in" a bit near the end to get a bit of grit but I can never quite get it to really grit up, it just gets brighter/tinnier so I don't think I'm "leaning in" correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoBntRwdbSw

Comments

• Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    The main thing Notice is your support wavers a bit on some of the longer notes so you lose a bit of pitch. Keep it engaged through the entire note so you can hold it solid and steady. At about 2:50 on the 2 alones, try to not rely so much on your mask and open up your throat to get a fuller rounder sound, project it from further back. 3:55 till the end was pretty much spot on, awesome tone and control, shoot for that level and you're onto a winner!
  • Options
    esequiboesequibo Member Posts: 47
    cut those low frecuencies, the most interesting thing about vocals are the mid high parts (specially noticeable at the start of the acoustic part. singing is fine, most of it.
  • Options
    gravity84gravity84 Member Posts: 10
    Wigs said:

The main thing Notice is your support wavers a bit on some of the longer notes so you lose a bit of pitch. Keep it engaged through the entire note so you can hold it solid and steady. At about 2:50 on the 2 alones, try to not rely so much on your mask and open up your throat to get a fuller rounder sound, project it from further back. 3:55 till the end was pretty much spot on, awesome tone and control, shoot for that level and you're onto a winner!

Thanks for the tips! I do notice too that I can get pitchy on long notes, idk if it's just me anticipating the next phrase and not supporting the current one or what, but I'll have to work on that. I notice I have some issues targeting the start of the pitch, especially if it starts with a consonant so I should work on adding soft "h"s to some of those to get more control. I'll work on that stuff, thanks!
  • Options
    Kevin123Kevin123 2.0 PRO Posts: 101
    Good feedback from Wigs. Overall, your captured the feel of the song very well.