Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Questiin on low voices

Some organists at church play hymns with the range of C-C. To me this is just crazy. It is very low. I am a tenor who don't really sing below C3. I reach B2 but it is extremely unpleasant. I can sing hymn wiith the range of F#-F# mych easier tham C-C. I am a beginner so I haven't learned to sing very low.
Why do organist play melodies this low? Do they think that we are all trained singers who can sing very low? Why don't they start with easier keys? Or are all people low voices except for me?

I hate singing together with most people as they choose crazy keys. I should avoid singing with others!

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Everyone has different voices. As for why they do ive no idea, next time you go to service have a chat with them and see what they say?
  • ingentingingenting Member Posts: 23
    edited December 2020
    Wigs said:

Everyone has different voices. As for why they do ive no idea, next time you go to service have a chat with them and see what they say?

They argue that people have low voices. I asked them but I am not sure most people want to sing this low.
    Baritones like to sing in C-C and tenors like F#-F#?
    Or do most tenor actually have very low voices? Or is it just that I am a very high tenor?
    Do tenors really have a low voice? I think most assume that tenors can sing very low without much issues unless I sing a tenor line or sing some notes an octave higher.
  • SkylarSkylar 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 89
    I don't think it's uncommon to start there to be honest. This may not answer your question, but have you tried asking the people that play why they start there? I wouldn't say C3 is incredibly low, for instance I can sing down to a B2, sometimes an A2 as a girl.

You could tell them it's uncomfortable though, but my assumption is most tenors can still sing down to a C3
    edited December 2020
    Skylar said:

I don't think it's uncommon to start there to be honest. This may not answer your question, but have you tried asking the people that play why they start there? I wouldn't say C3 is incredibly low, for instance I can sing down to a B2, sometimes an A2 as a girl.

You could tell them it's uncomfortable though, but my assumption is most tenors can still sing down to a C3

People, including organists, have said that most tenors can sing low. This doesn't apply to me.
    Am I a very uncommon form of tenor?
    I have heard professional tenors who sing down to A2 which should very low for a tenor.
    But I think the thing is: I am a higher tenor. Most tenors are not high tenors. Not many men can sing together with me as I sing high. I sing natural high. The natural tessitura is probably low for most tenors even if they can sing high.
    Pethaps most tenors are people with low voices?
    Even many lyric tenors prefer lower keys?
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    Forget about singing low and be greateful for your gift

Forget about singing low and be greateful for your gift

Am I just confused about voice classification? Are tenors not always naturally high voices? I have heard lyric opera tenors who sang tunes down to A2. My lowest note right now is around C3. Most tenors can sing down to A2, right?
    I don’t know. I don’t pay attention to classifications

I don’t know. I don’t pay attention to classifications

Classification is unimportant?
    It’s not important to me. I can sing the notes that I can sing. I’m sure I classify as a baritone but I don’t let my classification define me
    These classification are based around the colour of your voice and your tessitura (the most comfortable range you can sing in). At KTVA we are learning to break these barriers so we can sing above and below what we would be classified at. I didn't understand what note values you were talking about before but yes it certainly is possible.
    edited December 2020
    Wigs said:

These classification are based around the colour of your voice and your tessitura (the most comfortable range you can sing in). At KTVA we are learning to break these barriers so we can sing above and below what we would be classified at. I didn't understand what note values you were talking about before but yes it certainly is possible.

What do you mean? Classification is more for classical music than rock or pop?
    Are you saying that a rock baritone can sing the high C?
    I did find a recording with Elvis Presley singing the high C but he was very bad at it.
    Are you saying that rock singers have a much wider range than classical singers? If so, it is because they use other techniques.
    I haven't looked that deep into range and classification, my understanding of it is very limited. That's because I'm learning not to pigeon hole my self as a certain vocal type, I just expand my range up and down as much as I can and sing what I can. Ken states he was classified as a dramatic baritone, he does his daily exercises up to an A5 or C6.
  • esequiboesequibo Member Posts: 47
    you have a tenor voice i assume, tell the guy who plays the organ to play the tune a few tones above and you should be fine, everyone has a different place to sing
    i go from g2 to g4, below that i start sounding powerless, above g4 i sound like an old lady in pain