Home Off Topic
Options

Help with music video performance

ghost_redghost_red 2.0 PRO Posts: 10
Hey folks! My band's album is in production and we'll be shooting a few music videos next month. I'm the lead (only) vocalist and I will be performing front and center on all the videos (also filming much of it with my bandmate and editing them myself).

I've never done music videos before. Does anyone have tips and tricks for improving my performance? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Practicing Infront of the mirror will give you a good idea of what you look like with various expressions and poses. Then I would do a very rough video with your editing band mate just using your phone and put that to the song track to get an idea of what works and what doesn't.

Do as much of this as you can before the main shoot. If you are shooting this yourself and extra time won't mean blowing your budget, get waaaay more footage than you think you need. Aim for 3 usable takes for each scene. Story board the entire video as well.

There's a guy called Parker walbeck on YouTube that has a short how to shoot music video on his channel you can checkout. I'm no pro at videos, but I've been at it for quite a few years now.
  • Options
    ghost_redghost_red 2.0 PRO Posts: 10
    Great advice! I have been doing some of that. The video testing of myself is especially painful, but glad I'm doing it beforehand! I've also been reading that newbies never get enough footage, so I will definitely take your advice on getting too much.

I will check out that YouTube channel, thanks so much!