Home Recording Techniques and Gear

Laptop Not Recognizing Mic

Hi KTVA Community,

I just got the MXL 770 mic bundle that came with a shock mount and pop filter as well as the Xenyx 502 mixer along with a TRS 3.5mm in to 1/4 inch cable that you mentioned would be best for recording @FurryMurry

I have a mic stand as well, so I’m set on what equipment I need, but for some reason, my computer isn’t recognizing the mic even when everything is plugged in and powered on. I attached a video I just recorded of my setup, so maybe there’s something you guys will see that I’m not seeing

https://youtu.be/8pi4I5kK9iw

Comments

• sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    Ok not sure why it’s not working from that video. In tne computer mixer (I can’t remember if it’s right or left) click on the speaker icon and make sure the mic channel is up but with that xynex (I think) you can connect it with the usb but if you can I don’t think you’ll get any effects. I would strongly suggest you get an interface. Even if it’s a cheap one
  • StevenochoasmusicStevenochoasmusic 2.0 PRO Posts: 175
    @sjonrokz4u

Thank you for the info. I’ll look into an interface because I don’t wanna use a USB. I want full effects from my mic
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    From memory I had to go into settings on my computer and choose external mic when identified or something like that, so everytime I power on my interface it would automatically choose my external mic. I'm sure your bundle will have a YouTube tutorial and watch out for feed back from your speakers!
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    it'´s not gonna work like this. you connect it to the headphone output of the computer, right?

you need an input. unless your laptop has a mic in but that's pretty rare
    either way, an analog connection would not show in the list. does the xenyx have a usb port?
    The xynrx does have a usb but he doesn’t want to use it. Best choice is to get an interface. That being said I use the usb from my x32
    @Wigs

I’m gonna try looking at the external memory tomorrow and I’ll let you know how it goes. My bundle didn’t come with a YouTube tutorial and it only came with an instruction manual. It’s all pictures and diagrams though. There are no simple, worded instructions

@Klaus_T

No the Xenyx doesn’t have a USB port. Just a bunch of outlets. I honestly have no idea which outlets are which though because this is my first time I’ve ever bought audio equipment. I’ve been digging through YouTube watching videos explaining how to connect it to a laptop. I’ve been trying to connect the cable into the headphone jack of the computer. It fits just fine into the jack but the computer still doesn’t recognize the mic for some reason
    it's because the headphone plug is an OUTPUT (feeding the headphones) while you need an INPUT.

in this case you do need an interface. they have the xenyx in a version with usb that's why i thought you might have usb. you do need an interface then, as @sjonrokz4u said.
    @Klaus_T

Oh ok that makes sense. I had no idea what the difference was between an input and an output so thank you for clarifying that.

And yeah I’m looking online to see which interface would be best. Are there any specific ones you’d suggest?
    not really. some will be better than others but just see what you can afford. focusrite is a good brand, behringer is cheap and i guess pretty ok, m-audio is good, apogee is sort of the luxury brand.
    Anything in that 100-300$ range are basically the same. Others can tell you if I’m correct but I think you want 24bit/96. Something that would important to me is maybe being able to see the meter that’s ez to see Along with the other names Klaus said MOTU makes a decent ones
    @sjonrokz4u @Klaus_T @Wigs

Thank you again for all the input on this situation guys. I've just recently bought a Beringer audio interface and was able to get my mic connected to the audio interface and computer and I'm now able to record my vocal workouts.

I'm going through a process of trial and error of getting the volume of Ken adjusted to a good volume to where his voice and my voice are able to be heard decently when I post videos, so once I get that situated, I'll be posting progress report videos again.

God Bless
  • FurryMurryFurryMurry 2.0 PRO Posts: 56
    edited February 2021
    @Stevenochoasmusic

Hi there! I'm sorry I'm late to the party! I hope things are going well for you with your Xenyx! I wanted to show you how I have everything hooked up to my computer.

As others have said, your computer should have an input jack for your audio. Some computers have more than one audio jack that comes color-coded. From my experience, you should use the "line input" jack, usually colored blue.

Here is an image of my computer: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zzCh_MDMchVQRZjqzy8cl6lFhT2sJ8hz/view?usp=sharing
    As you can see, the sound board is connected to the input (in my case, the blue one labeled "line in") and my headphones are connected to the output (in my case the green one)

Here is a picture I hastily took of my board. I know it took me a while of experimenting to get the right combination of cords to be just right.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F3s0E4UHeTKSXmQPA2EcIUjGmGF6CWwB/view?usp=sharing

The plugs connected to MAIN OUT is a cable that converts to a single 3.5mm plug. Just snap that into your input and you're good to go!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that in your computer sound settings, make sure to set your input device to your computer's main sound card. It might be called "high definition audio device" or something like that. On Windows 10, click Start, then type "sound settings". :smile:

Again, sorry about taking so long to offer my help. Hope things are going well for you!
    @FurryMurry

I don't have that audio jack on my computer since I'm working from a laptop. I ended up buying a Behringer audio interface off of Sweetwater.com. I bought a printer cable and connect it to the computer via the printer cable and connect the mic cord to the other end. I still have the Xenyx mixer and will keep it just in case I may end up using it in the future.

The MXL mic has been working very well though! Thank you again for the recommendation for that because it's allowed me to hear myself so much more clearly than I was hearing myself with the webcam mic only.

And no worries! Thank you for still taking the time to comment this!

God Bless,
    Steven Ochoa