Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Bring Him Home - les Mis first go at muscal theatre

vertidogvertidog Pro Posts: 51
Hi all, as the title suggests, this is my first go at musical theatre.I struggle with the softer parts of the song and would appreciate some constructive feedback on how to improve. Thanks in advance.
https://youtu.be/dOOLc48pdts

Comments

• jaclynserjaclynser Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 262
    Hi @vertidog,

You did a beautiful job of this. Your voice is gorgeous. Gorgeous tone, great use of chest voice and head voice/falsetto. I would say for "technique" sake to be aware of how breathy you are allowing it to get, but again, in terms of stylistically in relation to the context of this song it works.

Ken's methods for vowel placement are quite different from musical theatre style singing, so just keep that in mind, that this forum is to help people better understand Ken's methods. So you may not get a ton of comments on this video because of the fact that it is musical theatre. You would probably be best to find specifically a musical theatre coach who can assess you and give you notes that would work specifically in the world of musical theatre. But honestly, you sounded beautiful!

Happy singing!
    Jackie
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Are you referring to getting your headvoice tone bright in the soft parts? like @jaclynser said, to me it also suits how you've presented this song. Do you have volumes 4 and 5 in your course pack?
  • vertidogvertidog Pro Posts: 51
    Hi @jaclynser,

Thanks very much for taking th etime to check it out. I have very little knowledge on singing techniques. I signed up to the course and have seen a huge improvement in some areas. I like to challenge myself and so decided to give musical theatre a go. I just tend to listen to the songs and then kind of make my own way through them.
    With regard to breathy sound it was astylistic choice and just wasn't sure it was suitable. Thanks again for your feedback I really appreciate it.
  • Kevin123Kevin123 2.0 PRO Posts: 101
    Wonderful singing, Gareth! I got emotional listening to this, and that is when you know you are hitting on all cylinders -- you were powerfully emotive and had great tone, dynamics, phrasing, and nuance. If you struggle with the softer parts of the song, it does not show. You sounded like a polished professional. Really well done, my friend!
  • rockdad73rockdad73 2.0 PRO Posts: 9
    I could hear a little Colm Wilkerson. I love this song, and you did a great job. Thank you for sharing this.
  • bonvie56bonvie56 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 55
    What a beautiful voice! Your interpretation of this song is spot on. I cannot offer any suggestions for improvement...just keep up the nice work!