Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Is it normal after singing to have a bit of sore throat

Is it normal after singing to have a bit of a sore throat

Answers

• MaiaMaia 2.0 PRO Posts: 47
    Hi @Cher It depends what you mean by sore...
    If it feels like you have just worked out a muscle i.e. its a bit tired, then that is normal (as that's what you just did).
    If it feels scratchy or dry then that's something you need to fix.
    Does it hurt during singing? If it does start to hurt whilst singing then you need to stop singing and wait til it feels better as it could be damaging to your voice.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You also need to examine what you were doing before you made your throat sore, how much volume you were using. You may be using a bit too much force on your voice.

If you start out more gently, you can manage your air and volume better, and stay below the threshold that makes your throat feel a little sore.
  • ZuzkaZuzka 2.0 PRO Posts: 12
    Hi I have some question. I quit with singing and now i wanted start over once more and this time i want work my ass off. I am at volume two. And yes I am feel kinda sore. like I lose some strenght after worm up especially in chest and higher tones. I know that, I need to use to it or my voice. I know I lost my voice strenght in that pause i didn´t practise. And i Have acid reflux so I need check my diet too. Thanks for response. :-)
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    If you took a long break maybe you should start back at vol 1 and build back up to vol 2
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    @Zuzka it sounds like you were using more air than necessary. Post some scales in the student area and we can really help you out.
    edited January 2021
    @sjonrokz4u of course I did that I start with basics from zero. :-) after I wrote bad i wanted to wite that I was at volume 2 when I quit. Now - I started and I am on 1volume. and gettin better. I am tying to be really aware of these small changes in throat and support and everything. Thank you
    @Wigs yes i will do it. I record some i will add it. thank you :-) That will be great.
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    I think some soreness is to be expected especially for beginners. You’re not going to instantly perform with perfect technique and some of that practice along the way can leave you feeling a bit sore.

Remember that singing is exercise. You are giving a very specific set of muscles a pretty strenuous workout. If your body isn’t used to using those muscles so intensely then your muscles will get sore.

The good news is as any weight lifter will tell you. The soreness starts going away the more you lift and the stronger you get. Those first few workout will leave you real sore but the 50th not so much.

I wouldn’t worry about soreness too much unless it becomes extremely sore/painful or some other bad signs happen like your voice going hoarse.
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    @Zuzka it's in the right place mate and I can see it, just haven't had a chance to listen yet.
    cool:-) thank you