Home Recording Techniques and Gear

Issue with monitoring!!!

Hi everyone

Working on a song at the moment and trying to record parts of the song. I practice the song without headphones in the open air line at a time and get the phrases pretty close. Problem happens when i record with headphones lose the pitch in alot of the phrases so frustrating. tried the backing track volume at lower not sure its helping much.

I use Cubase AI8, Scarlet solo 3rd gen, Rode NT1a and Shure SRH440 Headphones

Karaoke version backing tracks

Any hints would be greatly appreciated

Vocality

Comments

• WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I have had this problem before but only on certain songs. What I did to get around it was turn the volume of the backing track down as well as my vocals in the phones. When that didn't work I did the one ear in one out or both half on so I could hear my natural voice and wasn't being thrown off by hearing it through the head phones.
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    @Wigs

Chris Thanks for your input, I dropped the volume right down even more just to get a hint of the backing track. Also turned mic up slightly finally have a good setting. I think this issue combined forgetting my support was the problem.

Thanks again
    George
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    Yeah, I wish Ken had a video on using monitors (does anyone know if he does?) because in my experience how you have your monitors setup can have a HUGE impact on your singing voice and how you ultimately sound to others. I've played with both the volume of the accompaniment as well as the volume of my vocals in the monitor from none to a lot. Some songs I'll sing better if I adjust the volume in the monitor down and others will sound better if I adjust the volume up.

If I have the volume of the accompaniment really high and my vocals really low I tend to over sing the song (so that I can hear my voice), if I go too loud with my vocals and too soft with accompaniment I'll tend to under sing and hold back a lot.
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    @Chris82 he does actually! In one of the pro videos how to record (I think) he covers his method of using monitors.
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    Awesome @Wigs ! I found it, now the question is how did I never see it there before? Lol