Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Training the Open Throat Technique

https://youtu.be/N64nvAbgO6k

I've watch this video many times now, but I just need some clarifiation and confirmation. i know Ken is saying that we need to train the lowered laryngal position first in order to build muscles memory. Do we train this by the scales that he did at about 6:45 with a lowered larynx position and flat tongue in order to develop muscle memory? How far up our range do we train this to; because at a certain point in time, the larynx will raise to a neutral position, right (neutral position if we train it correctly at a lowered position first, of course)? I basically need help understanding how to train the open throat technique, because Ken didn't really show the training part all to well (at least for me, I might just be bad at watching videos).

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    you have things like vowel modifications, which help you shed weight in the tone when you go up in the scales. the course practices the mods systematically, along with other techniques. it takes a while to develop all of this, and i highly recommend the course for the full picture. you will only get so far if you have to come up with the info yourself. Ken spent years collecting this knowledge. not wanting to sound like a commercial but it's true! :)

what Ken is reiterating all the time and also in the free material is the PING, so you would be wise to work on the bright PING sound for a start. and you can check my profile page for a sample workout that's free.

you still have to work a lot and sing about 5-6 days per week for 1 hour, it is a long game, even with the guidance of the course,..
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Going up to a neutral position is fine, what you don't want is defaulting to a raised position and sounding froggy as you go higher which in turn will eventually close your throat. It's why we start with the lowered position.
  • CarlRydbergCarlRydberg 2.0 PRO Posts: 36
    edited February 2021
    Have realized that larynx is an issue for me also. Can't believe that I haven't thought of that in the mirror since last week - 6 months in the course! No wonder progress has been so slow. It's years of singing with wrong muscle memory to recalibrate here. Well... gotta keep on keepin' on!
  • CarlRydbergCarlRydberg 2.0 PRO Posts: 36
    So I've been struggling with this a bit now. I'm wondering though about the Adams-apple when transitioning from chest to head. I feel I touch my Adams-apple, and it moving a little bit when I'm passing the speed bump. I can make it reasonably past it without hearing the "bump" but am I supposed to sort of avoid the "apple" completely and go behind it? It's impossible at the moment to pass it without some movement/sensation of the Adams-apple, even if I neutralize it when I've transitioned.
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    @CarlRydberg the idea isn't to be completely static as far as I'm aware, small movements and shifts are fine. If you hear a froggy tone then that's a sign you have let it shift too much or your position is too raised.