Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Singers who don't warm up before going onstage yet somehow still pull it off

I just read an article on Blabbermouth where Udo Dirkschneider from the rock band Accept says he does not warm up before he goes onstage. He said he just goes onstage and starts singing. How do you explain people like this? Surely he's not a trained singer.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/udo-dirkschneider-says-he-never-warms-up-before-live-shows-i-go-on-stage-and-start-singing/

Comments

• Options
    LindseyBeanLindseyBean 2.0 PRO Posts: 160
    They're insane haha. I've seen people who say they've never taken voice lessons and never warm up but are on broadway. Either they're lying or they're a crazy exception. However in the long run their voice will be negatively affected. For example, Adele is a great singer but she does not use proper technique and unfortunately has had to get several vocal surgeries.
  • Options
    VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,602
    Would you go into the gym start a physical workout without warming up, you probably end up with an injury and the voice is no different!
  • Options
    Ken TamplinKen Tamplin Administrator, Moderator Posts: 446
    You do know that I was asked to take his place when he lost his voice and originally left the band?

I just read an article on Blabbermouth where Udo Dirkschneider from the rock band Accept says he does not warm up before he goes onstage. He said he just goes onstage and starts singing. How do you explain people like this? Surely he's not a trained singer.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/udo-dirkschneider-says-he-never-warms-up-before-live-shows-i-go-on-stage-and-start-singing/

• Options
    skv123159skv123159 Member Posts: 87
    Well warming up is a very important part as directly jumping to sing and hitting high notes are more prone to getting your vocal cords damage and you might not realize that in short run but in long term it can lead to some serious problems
    I recommend don't listen to any such articles as it can be misleading
    Create a routine and stick with it
    Like every morning even for 10min but first warm up your voice and then go for singing
  • Options
    I've never been a huge Udo fan. I remember an article comparing him to an angry Donald Duck. That said, still, his day jod is singing, mine is not. So opinions.....
    I can't imagine someone singing like he does, without a genetic gift.